Can not restore site collection backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am facing an issue while restoring a site collection. It always gives error like "Cannot complete this action, please try again". I am not able to diagnose it as well. Please guide me on this issue.

Thanks,

Rahul Babar

Dot Net, Sharepoint, Infopath Developer
    Monday, January 31, 2011 10:14 AM

Answers

• I was trying to restore backup of site collection from production environment on development server. Finally I could get rid of this error. I deleted the web application on which I was trying to restore and restored it on new web application and it worked. I suspect this is due to some problem with earlier content database. Thanks guys for the response.

Thanks,

Rahul Babar

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have to check couple of things

1. You should have admin right to perform backup and restore on SP server and database server. Also user should have atleast read permission on back up folder.

2. Whenever you backup of a site then put your site in lock mode. (You can do this through central admin)

3. How did you take your site back. STSADM or Central Admin. For better practice, you should always use central admin to perform this. Just try with this if not yet

4. Please check the SP log in 12 hive for more information of this issue

Let us know your result

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    Monday, January 31, 2011 11:38 AM
  • For better clarification/solution, pls mention the steps that you followed for this entire process.

Senthilrajan Kaliyaperumal
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:00 PM
  • I was trying to restore backup of site collection from production environment on development server. Finally I could get rid of this error. I deleted the web application on which I was trying to restore and restored it on new web application and it worked. I suspect this is due to some problem with earlier content database. Thanks guys for the response.

Thanks,

Rahul Babar

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:43 AM
  • You are correct, sometime the backed up database file get currept when moving from one location to another location. Insteated of deleting and creating a new web application restoret the content database on the old content database.

1. Take the backup of the live content database and move to the environment where you want to restore the database.

2. Go the the CA and detach the content database from  the web application

3. Stop the Windows SharePoint Services Timer services

4. Restore the backedup content database on the old content database(note: dont change the database name and specify the correct mdf and ldf locations)

5. once the database restored sucessfully then go to CA.

6. In CA attach the content database to the specific web application

7. Start the Windows SharePoint Services Timer services

8. Reset the IIS

Senthilrajan Kaliyaperumal
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:29 AM