none
Feature request: Multiple tabs/pages for an article RRS feed

• General discussion

• The functionality should be similar to Wikipedia, where each article has multiple pages represented by tabs at the top of each article.

While we should have some of the same tabs as Wikipedia (discussion for example,) there is room for some innovation here by providing tabs such as "Executive information", "Operations information", "Deep Dive" etc. that would be interesting/useful to our target audience.

Thoughts? Comments?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:05 PM

All replies

• Certainly this would be a good idea. Some of feature at wikipedia are great, especially when hoovering above a hyperlink and you get a breif poped up without the need to move to the linked page.
    Hassan210360
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:04 PM
  • This is interesting, but it is contrary to what Wikipedia does. Their tabs are similar to ours, where they serve an interactive function, such as our Edit and History. Discussion also serves an editor-centric function. Adding tabs that essentially work as pages would break this paradigm.

I think one thing we need is that we need an easier way to access the information on the page. I can see tabs as a solution to this, but then why not just create a separate page or link to it? How Wikipedia deals with this, is they put a TOC at the top of all the longer pages (automated with template magic). So some of us have been adding more TOCs to the wiki to make it easier to navigate the content on the page (with the all important "Back to top" link).

Good thoughts here.

Ed
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:41 PM
    Owner
  • I don't like the idea of tabs-used-as-pages. I personally prefer scrolling, not clicking. And sometimes it's usefult to press <Ctrl + F> in your browser window and look for some specific page in the whole article.

I suggest we should leverage the concept of “Minimizing” or “Collapsing” blocks of text (which are essentially chapters from the TOC point of view). This is what we used for years in the MSDN/TechNet Libraries (quick example: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/aa998911.aspx). It works great for me, epecially when not forgetting to include “Collapse All”/“Expand All” feature.

And yes, TOC is a must have feature with all the “Back to top” links placed decently. Maybe we should invest in features for intuitive and automatic TOC generation as one of our top priorities.

As for special “Discussion” tab it's highly debatable. In one hand, we already have comments field under each and every article. And currently I don't see this feature being used a lot (if used at all). Also I don't see how we could improve that and even why it could become more popular one day. If you have something to say—you'd better edit the article itself and express your opinion there.

In the other hand, we already have TechNet Forums. And they are far better place to discuss technologied, if it's not strongly related to specific article contents. Maybe one day we'd end up with more tighter integration between Wiki and Forums. But there's definitely not much sense in developing a whole separate communication platform inside the Wiki itself.

Monday, December 27, 2010 9:38 PM