Sound gets garbled / pc freezes only once per day RRS feed

• Question

• Running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Dell Studio XPS 8000 - core i5-750, 6GB RAM, Radeon 5770, integrated networking (wired) & sound (Realtek HD). Haupagge tv tuner card installed.

Once per day, usually within 1 hr of first boot up of the day, my sound gets extremely garbled, and usually leads to a pc freeze. Playing a game accelerates the process, though it will happen w/o playing a game.  Once it happens, I reboot the pc, and everytyhing is fine for the rest of the day - it will run for 16+ hours with no problems after a reboot.

I assume it is related to some process or task that is scheduled to run once per day, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I have disabled all but MS services in msconfig, and it still happens. I have disabled items in task scheduler that I thought might be related, but it still happens. I installed a new sound card (Soundblaster X-Fi) but it happens the same as with the onboard sound. So I went back to onboard sound. I took the extreme step of re-installing Windows 7 from disks. Installed one game (starcraft2) - and it still happens. BTW, it originally happened before SC2 was ever installed, so I don't think it is related to any specific game. I have of course made sure I have all updated drivers & BIOS.

Again I'll stress, since it seems to me to be highly relevant, this happens once per day. After reboot, the pc is fine the rest of the day. It has never happened twice in the same day. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.      

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hi JJMaz,

I still suspect this is a hardware or driver issue. Please try the following suggestions and see if the issue can be resolved:

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers.

3. Right click the sound card and click "Uninstall".

4. Restart the computer.

5. Run Windows Update to install the sound card driver.

Also, access Clean Boot to check the issue. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, you can continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue reoccurs, please press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up Task Manager, click Processes tab and check which process is taking the most usage of the CPU.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:51 AM
  • Hi Linda -

Thanks for the feedback. I have previously tried to solve this by uninstalling the soundcard in device manager and re-installing the driver, but it did not solve the problem. It occurs with the default driver that windows installs, and also with the Realtek HD driver provided by Dell. I even tried installing a different sound card, but the issue was still there. (I reverted to integrated sound, since the different card made no difference).

I am going to try your "clean boot" suggestion, and will also try to see what is using the most resources the next time it happens.

One thing I did not mention in my initial post: my soundcard is listed twice in device manager. Two identical entries. I can't figue out why that would be - there is only one sound card (integrated on the mobo). If I un-install one of the entries, it just automatically re-appears when I reboot. I just recently disabled one of the entries. I don't see any difference with one disabled, but maybe this is a clue to the problem?

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Hi JJMaz,

Which TV tuner model do you have? It is strange that Dell shows a HVR1200 and a HVR1250 when Hauppauge support only identifies the HVR1250.

The second audio device could be connected to the TV tuner drivers.

If you have the 1200, you are stuck using the Dell driver software. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=STUDIOXPS8000&hidos=WV64&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

If you have the 1250, use the latest from Hauppauge: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1250.html

I suggest that you physically remove the tuner card and observe if the audio issue occurs.

You may also want to visit Intel and run the chipset updater: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:05 AM
  • Hi,

Also, look in the event viewer, administrative summary for a clue. You'll know the time and date of the occurence, so you should be able to identify the event.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:11 AM
  • Hi Nano Warp -

Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify my device manger listings. Under "sound, video, and game controllers" my tv tuner card is listed as the first entry. It is a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1600 (not original equipment, I added it). I do have the latest driver for it from Hauppauge, and I have tried removing it and it's driver. The issue still occurs with it removed.

The next two entries under "sound video and game controllers" are identical - either two instances of "high definition audio device" if I just use the windows driver, or two instances of "Realtek High Definition Audio" if I use the Realtek driver. I do not understand why it would be listed twice, since there is only one soundcard built onto the motherboard. I have recently disabled one of the entries, because if I uninstall it, it just re-installs upon re-boot.

I am going to try the Intel chipset updater that you mention.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:04 AM
  • Ok on the tuner card.

Any event viewer items?

Click Start, type event in the search box, select event viewer from the results.

Let it populate, look in the Administrative Summary and expand the Critical and error categories.

Find anything?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:28 AM
  • Hi JJmaz,

I am facing the exact same issue, have you found a solution to it?

I tried format and reinstall all the drivers (latest from Dell) but the problem is still there.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 10:23 AM
  • check the Resource Monitor of Windows 7 and look if you have system interrupt issue. If yes, make a xperf trace [1] to diagnostic the DPC issues. Please upload the etl file to your SkyDrive [2] and post a link here.

I'll take a look at it.

André

[1] http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140263
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:47 PM