Microsoft Word document revision logs RRS feed

• Question

• I have received a document by email & when I checked properties of the document, I got following info:

Created: 2015
    Last Modified: 2015
    Last print: 2010*
    Number of revisions: 15

When I saved this document on my desktop... it's properties changed but not last print date*

Now my question is... is there a way to check revisions log like who made the revisions and when these revisions were made? & 2ndly I am confused about last print date as this document was supposed to be created in 2015, how come it was printed in 2010?

Is there any 3rd party app for any such tracking other than Microsoft Tracking feature?

Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:44 AM

Answers

• In a word, no. If you check the document's metadata, you may get different values from the CREATEDATE, SAVEDATE & PRINTDATE fields, but that's about it. Unless change tracking is used, the document keeps no record of who did what or when.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:18 AM

All replies

• In a word, no. If you check the document's metadata, you may get different values from the CREATEDATE, SAVEDATE & PRINTDATE fields, but that's about it. Unless change tracking is used, the document keeps no record of who did what or when.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:18 AM
  • Paul is correct. We cannot which and when the previous revisions are made in Word if there is no tracking.

In later Office subscription version practice, Office 2016 automatically saves versions of your SharePoint, OneDrive, and OneDrive for Business files while you’re working on them. These versions allow you to look back and understand how your files evolved over time and allow you to restore older versions in case you have made a mistake.

Therefore, you can consider to save the files in OneDrive or SharePoint when creating files in Word 2016. Then you can view the version history for best practice in the future.

Also hope the following article is helpful to you:

View the version history of an item or file in a list or library 

Restore a previous version of a file in OneDrive

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 20, 2018 9:56 AM