none
Best Practice for using fiber channel attachted storage as storage pool in scdpm VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to install a new scdpm 2010 which will run in a VM on window server 2008 R2. I was wondering what would be the best approach for adding storage pool space to this VM.

On the physical server SAN is attached via Fiber Channel. There is 9 TB of space. I didn't find any information how to attach Fibre Channel storage directly to a VM. I read that it is possible but I didn't find any meaningful information how that is done.

So the only thing I found in documentation/internet is to attach those 9 TB SAN storage via creation of .vhd of 1.5 TB in size (according to SCDPM documentation that is recommende size of hard disks - so should this be also applicable for vhd?) and attach those 6 created vhd to the scdpm VM.

Is this truly the best approach? Is there another way/better way to do it? Any information/ideas are highly appreciated.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are going to run DPM in a VM, the requirement ia that the disk(s) in the storage pool need to be either iSCSI attached, or use pass thru disks located on the hyper-V host.  So, I would create a 9TB Lun on the SAN, attach it to the hyper-V host, then in the properties of the DPM VM, attach the 9TB disk as a pass thru disk (select Physical hard disk).  Once DPM sees the 9TB disk, convert it to GPT and then add it to the DPM storage pool - DPM will convert it to Dynamic at that time.

Reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399280.aspx

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 10:57 PM