Black Screen User Interface RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen a few Topics about this issue but not sure if they are actually the same.

This happens a few times on my computer.  After logging off, and on again (the welcome screen), the screen goes black.  Now if this was a driver problem, i would not be able to log off and using a different user, get to the desktop.  So that one user that gets corrupted somehow, i can press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and get to the windows menu to be able to logg off, change user or start task manager, the task manager would not work, or maybe it does, but the screen is black, so I have no idea.

So, the only way I found to resolve this is to create a new user and use it, copying all the files from one profiles to that new one, etc... ending up by deleting the corrupted profile.

That solution is workable for a few months until the profile gets corrupted again and then I get a brand new black screen desktop.

Every solution I found so far talks about the computer not booting up and getting a black screen, but no solution was actually talking about the current user beeing corrupted only.  This is the reason for that post, and I would love to hear a reason why the current profile gets corrupted at some point in time.

Ok, I'm using Windows7 Ultimate 64bit with 8Gb of memory, a double Quad Core CPU, a GT9600 video card, a boot disk using Mirroring on 2-500Gb disk, and a Raid adaptor that connects to Two Sata II Raid arrays using raid 5, one with 7-500Gb disks, and the second with 3-1TB disks, not the king of computer having a hardware problem.

So the real question is, why does the current profile gets corrupted, and how to fix this, the easy way?

Thanks.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:48 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Installing the incompatible programs or updates will cause the profiles became corrupted. I recommend you create a new account and just copy your persoanl data like Favorites to this new account and then to see if the issue persists. If the problem reoccurs, try run a system restore. 

Thomas77
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

Since there are thousands different hardware configurations, software configurations and user operating customs, we are not 100% certain what causes the corrupted user profile.

Usually the following scenarios have been linked to profile corruption:

a) Running too many applications at the same time (depleting memory).

b) Shutting down Windows while software is running.

c) Not shutting down Windows properly.

d) Having too many “temp” files on the computer.

e) Running “spyware” applications in the background.

etc.

Currently, it is recommended to run System File Checker, perform System Restore and create a new user account to resolve the issue.

Please be assumed that our developers are trying their best to prevent the profile from being corrupted.

Please always make sure Windows 7, hardware drivers and BIOS are up to date.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Installing the incompatible programs or updates will cause the profiles became corrupted. I recommend you create a new account and just copy your persoanl data like Favorites to this new account and then to see if the issue persists. If the problem reoccurs, try run a system restore. 

Thomas77
    Monday, January 4, 2010 9:19 AM
  • That is my solution for now, create a new account, I always have a spare account so I can use my desktop some other way.

The thing is that this has happens 3 times now.  And as far as software, 95% is Microsoft Software.  I also have Power DVD which should be compatible, Magic Disc, SERV-U FTP and DVD Fab.

So, no software here that are not compatible, and non that would affect the user's profile ability to screw up the desktop.

I would love to have Microsoft point of view on this issue, cause I'm not about to re-install my station.

Thanks.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:17 PM
  • I've had a couple computers experience this issue in the past couple weeks. I'm not sure if it's the latest security patches, defender updates, or what it is.

Workaround for now is to stayed logged-in and lock the workstation so you don't need to wait for the desktop to come up after waiting 5 minutes.

We're using Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. We've deployed about 20 computers and plan to upgrade 80 more computers in the coming months. Hopefully there'll be a fix soon.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Since there are thousands different hardware configurations, software configurations and user operating customs, we are not 100% certain what causes the corrupted user profile.

Usually the following scenarios have been linked to profile corruption:

a) Running too many applications at the same time (depleting memory).

b) Shutting down Windows while software is running.

c) Not shutting down Windows properly.

d) Having too many “temp” files on the computer.

e) Running “spyware” applications in the background.

etc.

Currently, it is recommended to run System File Checker, perform System Restore and create a new user account to resolve the issue.

Please be assumed that our developers are trying their best to prevent the profile from being corrupted.

Please always make sure Windows 7, hardware drivers and BIOS are up to date.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:04 AM