Migrate (not upgrade) from WSS to MOSS RRS feed

• Question

• We already have a WSS farm and a MOSS farm. All of our production data is in WSS now and we need to migrate those to MOSS. Can I create a WSS backup (.bak) and restore that in MOSS? Or do I need to upgrade our WSS to MOSS first, create a MOSS backup, and restore it in the other MOSS farm?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:18 PM

Answers

• Then you should be able to do a simple STSADM backup and restore it into you MOSS Farm.  MOSS is built on top on WSS so it shouldn't matter.  Just make sure you are at the same patch level, ie. SP 1 on both farms.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:12 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about a WSS 3.0 to MOSS 2007?  or WSS 2.0 to MOSS 2007?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:07 PM
  • WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Then you should be able to do a simple STSADM backup and restore it into you MOSS Farm.  MOSS is built on top on WSS so it shouldn't matter.  Just make sure you are at the same patch level, ie. SP 1 on both farms.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Sounds cool. Since (I guess) the SQL database tables are different in WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007, I was suspecting the backup and restore would work.

Thanks for the answer!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:34 PM
  • Hi,  How did it go ?  I am doing the same thing.

Challenges are afoot in importing a WSS 3.0 site collection to MOSS on a windows server 2003.

Work through a few things and then hitting template not found (Call Center).  So, the twenty server Application templates were uploaded, but the import got the same error.  Although I uploaded the templates to MOSS, there is not a Custom Tab in New Site Creation to choose them.

May I ask for some help ?

Thank you and regards,

Mark

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:50 AM
  • Why don't you delete the custom application templates from your WSS site collection, re-create the backup, restore the backup into the MOSS farm, and import the application templates using the stsadm command (as a job).

Saturday, June 21, 2008 6:23 AM
  • can someone please post the syntax for the stsadm command for backuping up and restoring to the 2007 server. I am using default installs on both servers

it looks like

-o setconfigdb

-ds Server1 

-o setconfigdb

are the switches that require arguments, where do  i get these values on my WSS 3.0 and my MOSS2007

your help is greatly appricated thanks

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:27 PM
  • stsadm.exe -o export -url http://SITENAME -filename C:\spbackup\wss30.bak -overwrite

-includeusersecurity -haltonfatalerror -versions 2 -quiet

looks like that got me a nice backup.

now how do I import it Smile

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:22 PM
  • or you can consider:

Backup

stsadm -o backup -url http://SiteCollectionURL -filename //SharedDrive/Directory.dat -overwrite

Restore

stsadm -o restore -url http://SiteCollectionURL -filename //SharedDrive/Directory.dat -overwrite

SharePoint automatically compress the SQL database for you.

Thanks,

Vic

• Proposed as answer by SV0505 Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:49 PM