none
Windows Easy Transfer disabled in 8.1... Seriously???

Question

• So I bring home my new 8.1 computer, turn it on and go to do the Windows Easy Transfer as I did with my previous computer... Such a nice, functional program. I loved it.

Well, now it appears some department without a clue has disabled this function in 8.1. Really??? Why on earth???

Now what???

• Edited by DocBob97 Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• DocBob97,

You can still use Windows Easy Transfer (WET) to transfer files from a Windows 7, Windows RT or Windows 8 computer to a Windows 8.1 computer. However, its functionality has been reduced and is no longer able to gather data from Windows 8.1.  This is due to WET being depreciated since many settings roam automatically now and SkyDrive provides an easy way to store and share data. 

If you were only interested in transferring data to your new computer, using a USB storage device or a network connection would be an easy way of doing so.  Since you are looking to transfer both files and settings, another alternative is to use the User State Migration Tool which is included in the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit. 

Mike

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:14 PM
  • This is NOT a solution. We need the ability to transfer files easily between Vista and Windows 8.1. Please fix this now.
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 3:50 PM
  • Unfortunately I do not see this as an answer either.  What I want to do is to sell my customers that already have a Windows 8.1 computer another Windows 8.1 computer.  I can do better selling my branded and boxed computers that are ready to go than to fool around upgrading single boxes.  Putting that aside, my current problem is an office that wants to buy 5 new laptops with Windows 8.1 to replace their current desktops with Windows 8.1.  I know from previous experience with this customer that he is planning on using the Windows Easy Transfer app like he has in the past.  The office does not have a server.  Each salesperson is going to be taking their new laptop home with them once they migrate to their new laptops.  We will get the job done one way or another. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• Edited by RichSa Sunday, December 28, 2014 11:10 AM
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 11:02 AM