none
Server Manager Refresh Failure

Question

• Getting a few errors using server manager.  I added all my Windows Server 2008 R2 servers to the server manager and they all immediately failed the refresh.  Most of them failed for the following two errors:

Configuration refresh failed with the following error: The WS-Management service cannot process the request.  The service cannot find the resource identified by the resource URI and selectors.

Refresh failed  with the following error:  The WS-Management service cannot process the request.  A DMTF resource URI was used to access a non-DMTF class.  Try again using a non-DMTF resource URI.

Now I have one server throwing the following errors:

Configuration refresh failed with the following error: An unknown security error occurred.

Refresh failed with the following error:  WinRM cannot process the request.  The following error with errorcode 0x80090322 occurred while using Negotiate authentication: An unknown security error occurred.

Possible causes are:

-The user name or password specified are invalid.

With this I have tried reentering the username and password but it is still a no go.  It works fine using the Windows 2008 Server Manager from one of the other servers.

And the last last server is throwing the following:

Configuration refresh failed with the following error: The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified.  Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled.

Thanks

Michael R. Mastro II

Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• You will need to download and install the Windows Management Framework 3.0 Beta that was released the day after Server 8 Beta and install that on any 2008/2008R2 server that you want to manage with Server 8 Server Manager.

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    Windows System Administration tool
    AD User Creation tool

• Proposed as answer by Cornelius N Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:54 AM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Well that worked for 3 of the servers.  The Windows 2008 R2 Server Core would not take the WMF 3.0 Beta update, said does not apply.

I am still getting the credentials not valid and time out on the other 2.  For the TMG server I tried adding a WinRM protocol of port 5985 inbound.  Then access rule for Internal to Local Host, but is still timing out.  The other one not sure what to do about the credentials not being valid, since when I log in the credentials allow me to log in.

Now with the 3 that did work it is throwing errors for stopped services:

Shell Hardware Detection

Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_x64

Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_x86

Software Protection

Michael R. Mastro II

Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:35 PM
  •  Hi,

Based on the current situation, please try to disable firewall and antivirus programs to check the result.

If Windows Management Framework 3.0 Beta still cannot work normally, please refer to the following link to send your feedbacks.

http://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell

For more information, please also refer to the following MSDN blog:

Windows Management Framework 3.0 Beta Available for Download

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/archive/2012/03/01/windows-management-framework-3-0-beta-available-for-download.aspx

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:27 AM
  • I was having problems installing the WMF as well then I realized the particular machine didn't have .net 4 on it.

I've got the WMF installed on two of my Win7 machines but they are both giving me the same error.  WMI Provider failure.

Also I'd like to know if I can manage my Hyper-Visor server.  It shows up in Windows 8 but it is also showing the same error message.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Hi, Michael,

You have installed .NET Framework 4, followed by the Windows Management Framework 3.0 package on all of the applicable downlevel servers; that's good.

I'm wondering if your Windows Server 2008 R2 servers are domain-joined?  Are any of the problem servers in a workgroup, or is the server on which you're running Server Manager in a workgroup?  If you are managing from domain-to-workgroup (or vice-versa), you might want to make sure you have followed the steps in this topic:  Add servers to Server Manager. See the section "Add and manage servers in workgroups."

This particular error, 0x80090322, can occur when the computer running Server Manager is in Domain1 and the target server is also in Domain1 when it's first added to Server Manager, but then the target server's domain is changed to a different, trusted domain.

Thank you and good luck,

Gaby K
    Technical writer, Windows Server

• Edited by Gaby_MSFT Monday, March 19, 2012 10:41 PM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 10:41 PM
  • .Net Framework 4 must be installed on your server core before installing WMF 3.0.  Regular .Net 4 won't install on server core so you have to use this special version

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22833

install that then install WMF 3.0 beta

Once you get all that done and restart if you get this error “Not accessible – Verify earlier versions of Windows run the Management WTR package”

follow the steps here to fix it and you should be good to go!

http://www.jamesbannanit.com/2012/03/manage-server-2008-r2-from-windows-8-server/

also if you they're not on a domain you'll have to do winrm set winrm/config/client @{TrustedHosts= "remoteservercorename"} from a cmd prompt on the Server 8 box

Daniel Smith

• Edited by Danielsmi Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Well all the servers are in the same domain and the one throwing that error has not changed out of the domain.  Is it possible that it thinks it is in another domain, yes but I am not sure how it thinks that.

Michael R. Mastro II

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:01 PM
  • I've got WMF 3.0 installed on a W2008R2 server and I can't manage it from my W* Server. The W8 Dashboard All Servers box shows a red manageabiblty error:

Not accessible - verify earlier versions of windows run the management wtr package

What should I do?

Tom

Tomás Mason

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:25 AM