Can't patch Sigred DNS flaw on 2008 not R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I’m trying to install the security update to patch the Sigred DNS vulnerability on our last Server 2008 x86. It’s being phased out soon but wanted to patch it regardless.

When I try to install KB4565529-x86 it says, “The Windows Modules Installer must be updated before you can install this package" so I attempted to update the Servicing Stack for 2008 (not R2) which leads me to KB955430-x86 but that also errors out saying that “This update does not apply to your system”.

How can I get this patch installed? I’ve already created the script below to put the temp fix in place but want to make sure the patch gets installed as well.

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters" /v "TcpReceivePacketSize" /t REG_DWORD /d 0xFF00 /f
    net stop DNS && net start DNS

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 3:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

In regard to your issue, I want to confirm that have you purchased ESU? Because ESU is necessary for the successful update.
    And several other updates needed to be installed before installing the latest KB4565529.
    Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process. For more details, please refer to the following link:
    July 14, 2020—KB4565529 (Security-only update)

By the way, as Windows Server 2008 R2 is out of support since Jan. 2020. We recommend to upgrade to Windows Server 2016 or upper version, or activate Server 2008 R2 with ESU (extend security updates) product key to get security update.

Hope my answer will be helpful to you, thanks!

This "IPAM, DHCP, DNS" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

"IPAM, DHCP, DNS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "IPAM, DHCP, DNS"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    • Edited by Gloria Gu Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by GlenTech83 Wednesday, July 29, 2020 10:34 AM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:08 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

In regard to your issue, I want to confirm that have you purchased ESU? Because ESU is necessary for the successful update.
    And several other updates needed to be installed before installing the latest KB4565529.
    Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process. For more details, please refer to the following link:
    July 14, 2020—KB4565529 (Security-only update)

By the way, as Windows Server 2008 R2 is out of support since Jan. 2020. We recommend to upgrade to Windows Server 2016 or upper version, or activate Server 2008 R2 with ESU (extend security updates) product key to get security update.

Hope my answer will be helpful to you, thanks!

This "IPAM, DHCP, DNS" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

"IPAM, DHCP, DNS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "IPAM, DHCP, DNS"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    • Edited by Gloria Gu Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by GlenTech83 Wednesday, July 29, 2020 10:34 AM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:08 AM
  • We did not purchase the ESU so i guess I can't I have the regfix in place and I'm going on site today to unbox and prep the new server so in a few weeks the old one will be phased out. Thanks!

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If there's any future question, please contact me at any time, thanks!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
    Gloria

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2020 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,
    Gloria

Friday, July 31, 2020 8:05 AM