Stop winows from opening on top of each other RRS feed

• Question

• This is just a personal annoyance of mine that I can't seem to work out.

Why is it that whenever I open a new instance of something (say Explorer or IE), microsoft have decided that the best place for that window to open is right on top of the other one, ever so slightly down and to the right? I've got dual monitors here, so theres plenty of room to spread things out, theres no need to stack windows up like that like im on an old 800x600 CRT.

Now I use Ubuntu at home, and thats inteligent enough to spread out windows and use all available screen space before it starts stacking, and even then it wont put one right on top of the other. Why doesnt MS do the same?

Is there a way to make windows behave in a more logical way? I've had a quick look around the web, but im not really sure what to call this, so that makes things a bit difficult.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:44 AM

Answers

• This was by design in Windows XP and later because when windows are cascaded one over another, it becomes easier to compare the titles of the respective windows. In Windows 7, there are no titles to the windows but yet this design decision just got extended into it.

A workaround for this would be - open all windows you want and either arrange them side-by-side or stacked. To do so, open all the windows and right-click an empty area of the taskbar, then click Cascade windows, Show windows stacked, or Show windows side by side. The latter two options will arrange the open windows in a way that clearly lets you see the contents of the open windows.

More on how to manage multiple open windows:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Manage-multiple-windows

PS: On an unrelated note, I would strongly recommend you to buy an LCD monitor. It saves a lot of power and churns higher resolutions.. :)

Please revert back here if this does not help you with the UI problem. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | I'm on facebook.com/serverbaba
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 5:10 AM
  • It's just the way it is.  For what it's worth it's starting to look like Windows is getting away from doing windows entirely with version 8 with their silly full-screen "Metro" UI.  But that's another debate.

There's a pretty cool tool that can help you position Windows Explorer windows called ShellFolderFix...  Look here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/40916-shellfolderfix-manage-folder-window-positions-size.html

I've always thought that a general desktop window management solution that would allow you to choose how and where windows of particular apps would open would be a nice product.  Haven't seen a general solution, but there may well be one out there.

-Noel

Sunday, October 2, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• the applications remember the screen location when last closed, I have not seen any windows setting that can randomize or calculate x,y coordinates for the screen postion of a particaular application everytime it opens.

MCP, MCTS, MCTS: Exchagne 2007
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:35 AM
  • I get that it remembers where it was when last closed, thats logical. But I dont understand why the second instance I open has to be smack bang over the top.

I know this isnt a major problem, its just a small annoyance.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:16 AM
  • This was by design in Windows XP and later because when windows are cascaded one over another, it becomes easier to compare the titles of the respective windows. In Windows 7, there are no titles to the windows but yet this design decision just got extended into it.

A workaround for this would be - open all windows you want and either arrange them side-by-side or stacked. To do so, open all the windows and right-click an empty area of the taskbar, then click Cascade windows, Show windows stacked, or Show windows side by side. The latter two options will arrange the open windows in a way that clearly lets you see the contents of the open windows.

More on how to manage multiple open windows:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Manage-multiple-windows

PS: On an unrelated note, I would strongly recommend you to buy an LCD monitor. It saves a lot of power and churns higher resolutions.. :)

Please revert back here if this does not help you with the UI problem. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | I'm on facebook.com/serverbaba
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 5:10 AM
  • It's just the way it is.  For what it's worth it's starting to look like Windows is getting away from doing windows entirely with version 8 with their silly full-screen "Metro" UI.  But that's another debate.

There's a pretty cool tool that can help you position Windows Explorer windows called ShellFolderFix...  Look here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/40916-shellfolderfix-manage-folder-window-positions-size.html

I've always thought that a general desktop window management solution that would allow you to choose how and where windows of particular apps would open would be a nice product.  Haven't seen a general solution, but there may well be one out there.

-Noel

Sunday, October 2, 2011 3:17 PM