Hibernation option lost in Vista Business need help ! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi ! I am working currently on Windows Vista Business edition  2006..., using the disk cleanup option for my drive C: I was able to free up some space.. there was a option of hibernated files in that which i deleted too as it was taking upto 0.98 Gb. .. .  since then i have lost all hibernation options on my lenovo N100 notebook, so please guide me how to restore my settings  ... and how to minimize the hibernation file space on my hard disk..
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 6:34 PM

All replies

• http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2106/vista_restore_hibernate_option

This should work.
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Um, a .98GB (980MB) hiberfil.sys isn't abnormal, nor will it grow out of control.
    Remember this:  the hibernation file is, basically, a dump of system RAM.  So, however much RAM you have installed, that's about how big you can expect the hibernation file to be (roughly.)  Some contents of the page file may be written to it, as well.
    The only way to 'minimize' how much HDD space it'll use is to not use it at all, unfortunately (and, yes, XP was the same way.)
    Also, keep this in mind:  unlike, say, system restore, there's no such thing as an 'old' hibernation file.  They're only good for one startup, are disregarded for the next reboot / cold boot, and are overwritten the next time you hibernate the machine.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:18 AM