none
Share a project with a customer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I try to found how to share a project with a customer. I don't want to send the project itself to the customer because it contains data that I don't want to share.

I can’t copy/paste the task and the date in another project but it take a lot of time. Did anyone know a way to block protect some view. How did you manage that?

I use ms project pro 2010

Thanks

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:16 PM

Answers

• ManPid,

To answer your question, there is no way to lock out fields in Project. If you give your customer the .MPP file, they will be able to read all data.

I agree with Rob, your best approach is to give them the data in another form (i.e. hardcopy and/or screen shots). If they insist on an actual Project file, you will have to create a separate customer version with sensitive data replaced with generic information. This process can be automated to save time if it is something you must do on a regular basis.

John

• Marked as answer by PWAdmin Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:16 PM
  • ManPid --

The best way to handle this situation is to save the MPP file as a PDF document.  Set up the project to show the view you want displayed in the PDF, then click File > Save As, select PDF Files as the file type, and then save the file.  Otherwise, there is no way to perform the action you want, which is to hide certain data from the customer if you give them the actual MPP file.  Hope this extra comment helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:19 PM
  • ManPid,

I found that the above reply works, how ever I tend to do the same first step, but a few different ones afterwards, I'm not sure if it's the correct way, but it works:

1. Open the view you want, show the collums that you want to show.

2. File > Print > Print Preview, does the file show exactly how you want it to be shown? (notice, dont mess with the scaling else the .pdf will come out different, atleast, it does for me)

3. If the setup shows what you want, select 'Save & Send' > 'Create PDF/XPS Document' and 'Create PDF/XPS' name it, save it and select a date range or all.

This way I normally get good .PDF's.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:15 AM

All replies

• I guess it all depends on what the customer needs and what they want to do with the information.  Assuming that they do not know how to drive Microsoft Project and and are relying on you to be the Project Manager, I would advise never ever sending them the MPP file unless there was a good reason to do so.  

Instead, send them a Project Status Report which includes not only key data at the appropriate level of data from the Project MPP model, but also your commentary on what  it all means and what the outlook for the project is.  Setup Views and Tables, then use screen shots from Project, or export graphics files using the CopyPicture macro that you import into the project document.  That status report would be written in Word or other, and given to the client as PDF or something other than a source DOC file.  

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:47 PM
  • ManPid,

To answer your question, there is no way to lock out fields in Project. If you give your customer the .MPP file, they will be able to read all data.

I agree with Rob, your best approach is to give them the data in another form (i.e. hardcopy and/or screen shots). If they insist on an actual Project file, you will have to create a separate customer version with sensitive data replaced with generic information. This process can be automated to save time if it is something you must do on a regular basis.

John

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:16 PM
  • ManPid --

The best way to handle this situation is to save the MPP file as a PDF document.  Set up the project to show the view you want displayed in the PDF, then click File > Save As, select PDF Files as the file type, and then save the file.  Otherwise, there is no way to perform the action you want, which is to hide certain data from the customer if you give them the actual MPP file.  Hope this extra comment helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:19 PM
  • ManPid,

I found that the above reply works, how ever I tend to do the same first step, but a few different ones afterwards, I'm not sure if it's the correct way, but it works:

1. Open the view you want, show the collums that you want to show.

2. File > Print > Print Preview, does the file show exactly how you want it to be shown? (notice, dont mess with the scaling else the .pdf will come out different, atleast, it does for me)

3. If the setup shows what you want, select 'Save & Send' > 'Create PDF/XPS Document' and 'Create PDF/XPS' name it, save it and select a date range or all.

This way I normally get good .PDF's.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Koen --

Thanks for sharing this excellent information!  :)  What many people do not realize is that "Save to PDF" really means "Print to PDF."  So, if the project does not look right in Print Preview, the PDF will not be rendered right as well.  You advice is sage, my friend.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:02 PM