none
distribution point RRS feed

• Question

• i'm due to upgrade my distribution point to windows server operating system 2019. the upgrade will be deprovision current distribution point role in current server and provision the distribution point role in another server which is server 2019.

the client workstation is joined to subdomain.abc.com. current distribution point is joined to subdomain.abc.com.

if the new distribution point is joined to abc.com, will it have any impact on those client workstation in subdomain.abc.com??

note:client workstation in subdomain.abc.com can talk to abc.com

Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:55 AM

Answers

• No, there's no impact with this as long as the networking 101 pieces are in place like DNS, routing, etc. and those client (as you've indicated) can communicate properly with the new DP.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Marked as answer by j8f9 Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:34 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:26 PM

All replies

• No, there's no impact with this as long as the networking 101 pieces are in place like DNS, routing, etc. and those client (as you've indicated) can communicate properly with the new DP.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Marked as answer by j8f9 Saturday, February 15, 2020 3:34 PM
    Saturday, February 15, 2020 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

I concur with Jason here. It will work well after the change. Those client workstations in subdomain.abc.com can communicate with the new distribution point in abc.com

Genearlly speaking, Configuration Manager client ifrstly sends a content location request of distribution point to its management point. Then the MP sends the DP list back to the client. For more details, please refer to:

SCCM – Distribution Point Selection Steps
    Learn how clients find site resources and services for Configuration Manager

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, February 16, 2020 4:17 PM