SCCM 2012 CU1 + WMF 3.0 = Client health check fails with WMI read/write error, any workaround? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've noticed that when WMF 3.0 (which includes PowerShell 3.0) is installed on a box that has SCCM 2012 CU1, the Client Health check fails, just like the issues reported here: 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmanagerdeployment/thread/32f7b0f9-6d49-4981-ba99-12ff60e87b19/#563ae17f-61fc-411d-b057-306e2b3e5da0

Executive summary:  ccmeval.exe fails to delete the root/cimv2/ccm2 namespace.  (Manually deleting the namespace via PowerShell works just fine).  ccmeval proceeds to rebuild the wmi repository (moving c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository to repository.1, .2. etc.), then reinstalls the client.  None of these remediation steps succeed.

I'm positing on a separate thread because I'd like to specifically limit to scope to Windows 7 SP1 machines with WMF 3.0 and SCCM 2012 CU1 installed, and not get confused about supportability issues with Windows 8.   Is there anyone who can tell me if there's a workaround for this particular issue without having to uninstall WMF 3.0?

Thanks,

Julian Rodriguez

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:44 PM

All replies

• Just to add a little more color:

WMF 3.0 seems to add the Windows 8 version of the WMI Repository Driver (repdrvfs.dll, version 6.2.9200.16398) in %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WBEM\.  It seems this version of the driver breaks SCCM 2012 CU1's health check (The WMI read/write test fails, even though you can delete the test namespace successfully yourself.)   

Julian

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:52 PM
  • I've seen a statement from the Product Group that WMF 3.0 should work with CM12 (as it's a prerequisite for AppV 5.0).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:14 PM
  • I assume you meant CM12 SP1. That's all well and good, but I'm was looking for any workarounds I could use in the meantime, as my understanding is that SP1 won't be out until early Q1 2013.

Julian

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:37 PM
  • We're having the same problem in our environment, a simple evaluation environment with about a dozen clients. There are two clients (one win7 one win8) that have WMF 3.0 installed, both are failing the health check with the same "cannot delete namespace /root/simv2/ccm2" error. All other windows 7 clients have no problems, and the win7 machine with WMF 3.0 wasn't having problems until I installed that.

I also have gone through every WMI repair steps I could find, with the exception of removing WMF 3, as I kind of need powershell 3.0

The error doesn't appear to have any other impact. Updates and other configurations all go through with no problems, it's just obnoxious having two machines showing up as broken all the time.

Thanks,

Keith

Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:10 PM
  • I assume you meant CM12 SP1. That's all well and good, but I'm was looking for any workarounds I could use in the meantime, as my understanding is that SP1 won't be out until early Q1 2013.

Julian

The only known work-around at present is to roll stuff back until SP1 arrives.
    Monday, November 19, 2012 10:16 PM