SCOM 2007 connectors RRS feed

• General discussion

• I need to use a SCOM 2007 connector to send alerts to an external ticketing system.  

I've tested this and it works, however I'm not seeing anything on how people are configuring their connectors.  Googling just turns up how to create a connector, and I know how to do that.

I assume people aren't sending EVERY alert to an external system, e.g. Remedy?  Otherwise there could be a ton of tickets created.  Even if the external system parses the alerts and only ticketing a subset, I don't want to send everything, do I?  If not, how are you configuring this?  I don't see any options for limiting by alert, only by group and target (which appears to be class).  Too bad it doesn't work like a notification subscription.

For example, I want to send all Heartbeat Failures and all Computer Unreachable, but I also want to send two alerts from SQL, one alert from exchange monitor, two custom alerts, etc.  How could that be done?  Can it be done?

The Remedy connector is similar to what I'm trying to do.  Are there any links to tutorials or blogs about what people have done? Please don't link me to the documentation that does not explain anything.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 12:58 PM

All replies

• I did find the following, which lets me know how to modify the connector subscriptions in XML.  I still would like to know how people are using their connectors.

config

• Edited by SCOMcat Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:24 PM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:57 PM
  • I guess it depends on how you are working with SCOM/Tickets.

In our case we created a special resolution state and we'd only create tickets in case the Alert is in that resolution state. Of course, someone needs to sit there and change the state for the Alert in this case.
    By now we dropped that connector though because one always has to wait for the next procession cycle which makes it slower than creating a ticket by hand.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:56 PM
  • The product we're using can filter alerts so I guess I'll just send everything, and filter on the back end.  I'll have to keep an eye on it to make it can handle all the data it gets.
    • Edited by SCOMcat Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:38 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:38 PM