none
Disable prompt for "This Website wants to install the following Add-on: Java on Windows 7 x64 SP1 IE 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this-Didnt see any forum or I missed it for Internet Explorer.

Here is my problem,  We have uses that are running a webpage that is trying to install an older version of Java, The workstation has the latest version of Java, BUT the webpage seems not to care, and wants to put a older version.

Is there a way I can disable this:

"This website wants to install the following add-on: 'Java SE Runtime Environment.....'.

We have uses that will click on the Install button, and thus compromising the workstation.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 2, 2015 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hi usgrcm,

It sounds like the Java add-on is necessary to get into the specific website .

I am afraid you would have to add it to the restrict sites to forbid it from installing the add-on or install the old version of Java add-ons for all the machines to get into this website .
    Usually ,the new Java verion should be compatible with the old version .We also can connect the website for support .

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi usgrcm,

This is a security feature if IE and is not tied to whether or not you have a sight “allowed” to use an add-on.  It behaves in this manor to help protect you against malware. Disabling this notification is not a good choice .

Have you tried to reinstall the Java software to have a check ?
    There is a possibility the present installation has corrupted .Please restart the machine after reinstalling the software.

"BUT the webpage seems not to care, and wants to put a older version."
    We can try to install the old version to have a check.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 3, 2015 9:06 AM
  • I don't want the user to prompted at all.  We control Java through SCCM, I don't want some 3rd party app trying to install it.

Thanks

Friday, April 3, 2015 4:53 PM
  • Hi usgrcm,

" I don't want some 3rd party app trying to install it."

We can try to change the security configurations or custom the level .

Best regards

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:37 AM
  • Thanks, I played around with some of the activeX settings:

Now instead of it prompting to install an older version of Java, it reports "An add-on for this website failed to run.  Ideas on how to stop this?

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Hi usgrcm,

It sounds like the Java add-on is necessary to get into the specific website .

I am afraid you would have to add it to the restrict sites to forbid it from installing the add-on or install the old version of Java add-ons for all the machines to get into this website .
    Usually ,the new Java verion should be compatible with the old version .We also can connect the website for support .

Best regards

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:54 AM