none
Lead time vs time needed per task RRS feed

• Question

• L.S.

It is possible to specify a lead time and a (different) needed time per task?

For example, we have 1 week to perform a task. However, this task takes only 1 day to complete. So for 1 planning (which will go to our client) I want the task to last 1 week. But for our own planning, I want the task to take only 1 day.

I would like to make this difference because I would like to make a planning for 10 people who work on different projects. When I combine the different plannings for the different projects, MS Project should indicate if there are people that are overworked or if people have no work to do.

Help is much appreciated

Friday, October 12, 2018 12:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What I generally do is the following, on your example:

• Create a 1 day task and assign the resource on it,
    • Create a milestone, link it with the previous task with a lag of 4 days,
    • Eventually set a constraint on the task, so if the 1-d task moves forward or takes more time, the milestone will remain.

Then just communicate milestones (using a filter) to your customer.

With this method, you have a realistic schedule for managing both your capacity and customer's deliverables.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, October 12, 2018 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. 

However, with all due respect, it sounds a bit like a work around, instead of a real solution. I cannot imagine that there is not just a button for this problem, since other companies will have the same problem. When there isn't a solution, MS Project will unfortunately not have much value to our company. 

Do you or other people have any other suggestions?

Help is much appreciated

Monday, October 15, 2018 10:37 AM
  • To me it doesn't sound like a workaround. How can a single button knows that it is a 1d task, which resource is it, how long is the lag with the successor if any? Softwares can be powerful but yet not mind readers.

You have a 1-d task with a delay on the successor, so just plan it as it is: a 1-d task with a delay. You can add constraints if it corresponds to your reality. It will give you what you need: a realistic scehdule and capacity planning, customer deliverables...

Hope this helps,

Monday, October 15, 2018 10:46 AM
  • First of all, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I didn't mean that the single button would guess the time needed, the resource etc. I meant that i expected that I could add a column in MS project where I could specify the needed time for the resource and in another column the time that we as a company  communicate to our client.

With your solution a have to create 2 tasks (1 real task and 1 milestone), I expected MS project to be smarter than this, but we've purchased MS project only recently thus my experience with it is limited. 

I will try your solution, but as stated my experience is limited. How can I set the constraint you're talking about (3rd bullit) in your previous answer? And how can i filter which tasks are printed and which are not?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 15, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Another solution would be to use the DEADLINE column. This is not a constraint and you could use it to enter the client deadline. It will not prevent the task to go after this deadline but you'll get a warning so you can make adjustments.

Hope this helps,

Monday, October 15, 2018 11:51 AM