none
Network Printer stops working every morning, until flushdns and reboot ? Server or Client issue? RRS feed

• Question

• In one of our department we have several windows 7 clients that use a Legacy application, every morning, we must do a ipconfig /flushdns along with nbtstat -R, arp -d accompanied with a reboot, then users can print again via the application for entire work day. When they come back in next morning the DNS flush...etc process must be repeated otherwise the App hangs spinning when press the print button.  I was thinking DNS cache is expiring and App is try to still use it next morning...etc   I don't know if this is a DC issue or client pc issue. Any help greatly appreciated!   -- the reboot must be done, fyi.

Thanks

Jim 

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:12 PM

Answers

• Yes, old Legacy 3rd party app, no logs and nothing in event viewer I can put my finger on.   The department does use dhcp server, but, our test pc is static and certain the print server is static, will recheck.  

For testing, I editing our test pc so the local DNS cache is disabled or set to "1" using MaxDNScacheTTL = 1 and believe it or not, printing worked fine for the 1st time in the morning without DNS flush...etc.  So, this leads me to believe maybe client's local DNS cache is not being deleted properly, or, the Legacy App is not using the new cache possibly..etc

* Both print server and printers are Static IPs.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1.What is this app?Is it a 3rd-party app?Does it have a log to record event or error itself?

There are a variety of reasons that could cause app hangs.

You could check this blog for your reference:

How to debug application crash/hang in production environment?https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/msdnts/2006/11/24/how-to-debug-application-crashhang-in-production-environment/

2.According your description,the app use FQDN or host name to connect to the printer server.Does this server have a fixed IP address?If not,we suggest you to give it a static IP address or create a reserve on DHCP.Dns cache may be not the primary reason,or flusndns could resolve this.In addition,reboot will clear the DNS cache.

3.If it is a 3rd-party app,you could contact the vendor,ask for like if they have related imformation,have seen similar issue in win7,etc.

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Yes, old Legacy 3rd party app, no logs and nothing in event viewer I can put my finger on.   The department does use dhcp server, but, our test pc is static and certain the print server is static, will recheck.  

For testing, I editing our test pc so the local DNS cache is disabled or set to "1" using MaxDNScacheTTL = 1 and believe it or not, printing worked fine for the 1st time in the morning without DNS flush...etc.  So, this leads me to believe maybe client's local DNS cache is not being deleted properly, or, the Legacy App is not using the new cache possibly..etc

* Both print server and printers are Static IPs.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

>>For testing, I editing our test pc so the local DNS cache is disabled or set to "1" using MaxDNScacheTTL = 1 and believe it or not, printing worked fine for the 1st time in the morning without DNS flush...etc.  So, this leads me to believe maybe client's local DNS cache is not being deleted properly, or, the Legacy App is not using the new cache possibly..etc

Thanks for sharing to us.If you have any other questions,please feel free to ask here.

tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 12, 2016 4:01 AM