none
How to enable the Install Behavior feature in SCCM 1902 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have been configuring our Office 365 package to use the Install Behavior. After doing some research today, I learned that this will only work if the package is deployed as Required and Automatically close any running executables you specified on the install behavior tab of the deployment types properties dialog box must be enabled. To date, we have only been deploying the package as Available but we may need to move to a Required deployment to get our Office instances at the same level.

When I look in the console at Administration \ Updates and Servicing \ Features, Install Behavior does not exist in the list and it doesn't appear that you can add the feature either.

I setup a test deployment of my Office 365 package as Required and installed an older version of Office (1811 - Monthly) on a test device and opened Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. So far nothing is happening and the deadline is past due. I see an instance of Office 365 in Software Center in the Installation Status tab. When I click on it, I don't see any evidence of activity. There is an Uninstall button available but is grayed out. I suspect that my Detection Method could be affecting my test. It is checking for the existence of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun and WinWord.exe without regard to the version installed.

How to you get this feature enabled/working in SCCM 1902 and is there any advice on how the package should be configured to get this working properly?

Thank you!

Rob

Monday, July 1, 2019 5:15 PM

All replies

• Installation Behavior is not a "feature" of sccm server roles if I'm not mistaken. Installation Behavior is a part of Application Model properties. It works both in Required and Available deployments. I just enabled this in production for some special software. You will find Installation Behavior page and options behind Application deployment type's properties.

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10, ALOVPN, MBAM.

Monday, July 1, 2019 8:16 PM
  • We have been configuring the Install Behavior tab in the Deployment Type properties but I have not once seen an Office application closed if any are open at the time the application executes. My findings are that you can only leverage Install Behavior when the deployment is Required. The setting needed to enable the action is missing when the deployment is configured as Available.

Available:

Required:

As far as configuring SCCM to support this feature, please refer to:
    https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-install-behavior-for-applications/

Monday, July 1, 2019 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

I hope the following information is helpful to you.

• If you deployed the application as Available, and a user tries to install it, the client prompts the user to close the specified running executable files before proceeding with the installation.

• If you deployed the application as Required, and specified to Automatically close any running executables you specified on the install behavior tab of the deployment type properties dialog box, then the client displays a notification. It informs the user that the specified executable files are automatically closed when the application installation deadline is reached.

For more details please refer to the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/apps/deploy-use/deploy-applications#bkmk_exe-check

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 10:19 AM
  • Hi Larry,

As I have originally stated, I have tried deploying an application as both Available or Required but no Office 365 applications are being shutdown during package execution even though I added a list of Office executables to Install Behavior in the deployment type.

I know how it should work as you have pointed out but I am posting here because I am not seeing the expected results. No applications are being closed and Office is not being installed.

Thank you!

Rob

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 4:07 PM
  • Check if you enabled the new Software Center in the Client Settings:

https://georgebethanis.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/new-software-center-for-confmgr-1710-how-to-enable/

And check if you selcted "Display in Software Center and show all notifications" in the User Expierence Tab on the Deployment.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/apps/deploy-use/deploy-applications#bkmk_deploy-ux

• Edited by Michael-CM Wednesday, July 3, 2019 4:52 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 4:48 PM
  • Are your clients updated to the latest version? When i tested this in standard applications I found of the client was not updated to a version that supported the new feature nothing happened.

After a little use I decided to use the psappdeployment toolkit, I use it for most applications now that require anything a little fancy, its just so good. And the close apps feature is alot more flexible and polished.

Richard Knight | Collection Refresh Manager | Automate detection rules for patch \ msp files | Twitter

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 5:28 PM