none
RemoteApp "Jumping" to Second Screen

Question

• Setup

I have Server 2016 set up with Remote desktop Services.  Its primary function is to deploy one particular application, installed on the server, with RemoteApp.  The Configuration for the workstations is being pushed out with a GPO, and RemoteApp shortcuts are successfully being placed in the Start Menu.  We have approximately 50 Users utilizing this application, and for 95% of them this works perfectly.

Issue

While running the application on one monitor (right), under certain circumstances, the application will jump to the second monitor, maximize, and "appear" to be frozen (no response to mouse movements). We have a remote control software used for troubleshooting.  When we shadow the console on the users workstation, you can clearly see the application is open on the second monitor (left).  When we shadow the users' session on the server, the application appears to be maximized on the right.  Restoring the window restores the window to the right monitor, both on the workstation console (jumps) and server session, and regains control.

Attempted Resolutions

We have attempted video driver updates, alternate graphics adapters, complete windows updates, restoring older versions of mstsc.exe (for Windows 10 1803 users, per another hotfix), and switching primary monitors and resolutions.  The problem still arises.  Problem only exists for particular users for dual screens.  User A and User B have identical hardware and dal screens, but problem only exists for User A.  User C has a different make & model desktop, and User D has a laptop with a docking station, and both C & D experience the same issue.  We cannot duplicate the issue on workstations that aren't experiencing it already.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 7:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>Problem only exists for particular users for dual screens.
    If possible, try to log on user A device using user B credential, confirm that if same problem happens.

Besides, are problematic users using same client OS version? 

Besides, please confirm that if same problem happens on specific RemoteApp?

Also, please check below confiruation:
    1. Equal resolution monitors
    2. Total resolution of all monitors not exceeding 4096 x 2048
    3. Top-left monitor being the primary

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:38 AM
  • User A experiencing problems on Workstation A loaded with Windows 10 1803 logged into Workstation B loaded with Windows 10 1803, both workstations have dual 1920x1080 monitors totaling 3840x2160.  User did NOT experience issues on alternate workstation.

Problematic users are using Windows 10 1803, 1709, and Windows 7 SP1, all machines with current updates.

Some users have the right monitors primary, others the left, but I will double check the exact configurations to make sure this information is accurate.

Currently we are using only one RemoteApp, heavily.  Other RemoteApps deployed such as Word, Excel, Outlook may not be used heavily enough to present the issue, but under current surveillance, they are not causing the problem.  There are some users with unequal resolutions, specifically those users on notebooks using a 1920x1080 monitor as their second screen.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:51 PM
  • Hello world !

I'm hosting manager and deploy RemoteApp for a lot of my customers since more than 5 years.

Since 1 year we don't have a day without issue with RemoteAPP (display issue essentially) so i think it's time to forgot RemoteAPP

We have switched a lot of my customer to use the classical Remote Desktop 3389 ... I am more than frustrated to go back but my customers not cry any more over me........

Maybe the RemoteApp over HTML5 will fix these issue, or maybe Microsoft will come out of his sleep to correct this RemoteAPP

And thank you for not talking about editing rdp files, changing the mode of HD support with GPOs, the only thing to do is Microsoft to get to work.

Sorry for my annoyance but it becomes so pathetic !

Thursday, June 14, 2018 2:52 PM