none
Upgrade to Server 2019 storage spaces problem - not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match RRS feed

• Question

• I upgrade a server from 2016 to 2019. After the upgrade one of my Storage Spaces drives went missing. The drives are showing in Device Manger but aren't showing Disk Management and the Storage Pool is gone. At first I thought the problem was a cheap controller (4 Port SATA in home test server) wasn't being supported in Server 2019. I swapped out with a LSI SATA / SAS card that has certified drivers. Still having same problem. All 4 disks are showing this error in device manager:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_ATA&Prod_INTEL_SSDSA2MH08\5&10774fde&0&000400 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_Msft&Prod_Virtual_Disk\2&1f4adffe&0&000003
    Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F120
    Present: false

This doesn't seem to directly be Storage Spaces issue but since they were that way in 2016 I figure it might be related. Anyone have any suggestions?

Monday, February 11, 2019 6:54 PM

All replies

• One other thing I found is the disks are listed as starting:

Monday, February 11, 2019 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

May I confirm the current situation that? Now you swapped out a new disk drive card with four new disks into the server 2019, however they are missing in storage space of server manager as the precious one.

And on 2016, it works fine, is that? If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Due to OS upgraded to 2019, based on my experience, I suspect the driver first. We could refer to this thread (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-with-the-device-was-not-migrated-due-to/2c57db08-5877-45df-82d9-f26bb3715cfa ),

Method 1: Check for Windows Updates.

Method 2: Roll back driver, or update driver from the vendor released which is applicable with 2019.

Reference: how to update your driver manually:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/how-to-install-and-update-hardware-drivers-in/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Method 3: BIOS Update.

Furthermore, from your post, the disk drives’ health state shown unknown indicates unhealthy, A drive in the Unhealthy state can't currently be written to or accessed. We need to validate the disks, we can refer to the following threads and check them.

Troubleshoot Storage Spaces Direct health and operational states

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/storage-spaces-states

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/71838973-c06f-49a6-92c7-bbb867ae3db4/storage-pool-not-listed-all-physical-disks-stuck-in-starting?forum=winserverfiles

Hope above information can help you. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 3:39 AM
  • I was on 2016 everything was working fine. Upgraded to 2019 and it stopped working. In an attempt to fix I swapped the controller card and there was no change. I haven't swapped the drives or changed them in anyway to attempt to preserve the data.

1. Windows Updates - Done, no change

2. Drivers - It is using the standard built in driver for a Disk Drive in Windows. I tried uninstalling and re-installing with no change.

3. The motherboard (which is quite old) is on latest BIOS. I also upgraded BIOS on controller card to latest.

I read that other thread but the solution doesn't apply to my situation unfortunately.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

Please help run command: get-storagepool and post the screenshot of result.

for those stuck in "starting" status disks, please try to run command: reset-physicaldisk -friendlyname "xxx".

Best Regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back

Best Regards,

Michael

Monday, February 25, 2019 1:32 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Michael

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

Please help run command: get-storagepool and post the screenshot of result.

for those stuck in "starting" status disks, please try to run command: reset-physicaldisk -friendlyname "xxx".

Best Regards,

Michael

The reset-physicaldisk has made them visible again. However it doesn't seem to be rebuilding the Storage pool from those drives. They are all just listed in primordial state. Is there anyway to recover/rebuild the data on them into the old storage pool?

Brian Hoyt

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 10:58 PM
  • I used ReclaiMe Storage Spaces Recovery and it is able to see drives and see the old pool data on them. It even exported config as XML file. Is there anyway to bring that back in to rebuild the old storage space?

Brian Hoyt

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 11:21 PM