none
Outlook repainting issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have noticed that Outlook is repainting the calendar every-time something in my display changes (wallpaper change, color change).  And the more calendars i have selected, the longer the repainting takes.  For example:

- one calendar selected - takes a few seconds to repaint Outlook window

- two calendars selected - takes about 5 seconds

- three calendars selected - takes about 10 seconds to repaint.

While Outlook is repainting the screen, all other Outlook functions are halted (typing in a new email, for example).  All other apps are fine though and not impacted, including Word and Excel.  

I tried disabling hardware graphics acceleration in Outlook but it made no difference.  Is this a hardware acceleration issue, or something else?  

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Whats is the version that are using of Microsoft Office?

Regards,

SAAD Youssef

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:37 PM
  • Both Office 2016 and Office 2019.  Maybe others but havent tested yet.
    Friday, July 19, 2019 7:40 PM
  • And multiple versions of Office 2016/2019, not just the first build or the last build.  I have tried countless different combinations of updates for Office/Outlook 2016 and 2019.  Same problem across all builds.

My developer buddy says that it's an outlook bug.  All apps are asked to repaint their screens at times when the core OS makes a display change.  Outlook is going overkill.

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:42 PM
  • In the Outlook Options, go to Calendar tab and check "Use this color on all calendars":

Close Outlook and run it again to test.

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:43 PM
  • I meant to mention that the calendar repaint is just one of the issue caused by display changes.  I also noticed if i am typing in an email and the display changes, the typing with stop in the email, even as i am still pressing keys.  Eventually, 5-10 seconds later, the letters in the email catch up and i keep on typing.  Something about a display change in Windows 10 is causing Outlook to hang.  The calendar repaint and the message delays are just two examples.    Anyone heard of this issue?
    Friday, July 19, 2019 8:28 PM
  • Please make sure that your operating system and Office are up to date.

Check also if there are a Service Pack available for your different versions.

Friday, July 19, 2019 8:50 PM
  • Hi jrauman,

When you change the display of Outlook or calendar, calendar does need to be repainted, but maybe your update time is a bit long, which makes me feel that it may be a problem with your computer or a mailbox.

>> I have tried countless different combinations of updates for Office/Outlook 2016 and 2019.

Are you testing on the same computer? If so, please try testing on another computer and see if there is any difference. If not, please try test with another email account and see the results.

>> I tried disabling hardware graphics acceleration in Outlook but it made no difference.

It is suggested to upgrade your graphics driver to the latest version.

Besides, there are some suggestions for your to test:

1. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    2. Please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.
    3. It is also suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software to check if the issue will be gone.
    4. In addition, please try repairing your Office installation and test.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:14 AM