Messenger COM object RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to display the list of my messenger friends in powershell but I am getting New-Object : Cannot load COM type Messenger.UIAutomation error. below is the error I am getting.

ps> $messenger=New-Object -com "Messenger.UIAutomation"
    New-Object : Cannot load COM type Messenger.UIAutomation.
    At line:1 char:22
    + $messenger=New-Object <<<<  -com "Messenger.UIAutomation"
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidType: (:) [New-Object], PSArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotLoadComObjectType,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand

Sunday, September 9, 2012 6:27 AM

Answers

• Well first, there is a tool called oleview.exe that comes with the Windows Server 2003 resource kit, it is a COM object viewer.

You can get it here - Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

Info on how to use it - Using the OLE/COM Object Viewer - MSDN

It examines the available interfaces that are currently installed, and their related DLL's. i couldn't find one for Messenger, but i don't have it installed.

Tell us if theirs anything new... good luck!

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, September 17, 2012 1:53 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:39 AM

All replies

• Hello Taffere!

Which Windows version are you using?

Do you have any version of MSN\Windows Live Messenger installed?

It looks like the .dll file that contains the object is not registered. And im not sure that a "Messenger.UIAutomation" exists in Windows 7. I'll check that out for you.

BTW, there is a newer API - Windows Live Messenger Activity SDK - I haven't searched the hole knowledge base, but maybe it can add the functionality that you are looking for.

I'll return with more answers... Good luck meanwhile!

• Edited by NachumElla Sunday, September 9, 2012 8:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by NachumElla Sunday, September 9, 2012 3:43 PM
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Thank you NachumElla for your response. I am using Windows 7. I have tried on 64 and 32 bits machines but I am getting the the same error as shown above. I installed the latest version messenger but the issue is still exist.

It seems I am missing .dll file but I don't know how to load this file to make it work.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Well first, there is a tool called oleview.exe that comes with the Windows Server 2003 resource kit, it is a COM object viewer.

You can get it here - Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

Info on how to use it - Using the OLE/COM Object Viewer - MSDN

It examines the available interfaces that are currently installed, and their related DLL's. i couldn't find one for Messenger, but i don't have it installed.

Tell us if theirs anything new... good luck!

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, September 17, 2012 1:53 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:39 AM