none
"The task sequence has been suspended. LiteTouch is trying to install applications. This cannot be performed in Windows PE."

Question

• MDT 2012 Server is up and running. I mistakenly deleted a Task Sequence step called "Install Application" that I thought was not needed (I know I should have disabled it and tested).

I have a problem now, when I went to image a computer I did not get application list (This used to work before I deleted the above TS step) with items to check and uncheck for installation.  "Install Application" TS was readded but now when I try to image I get this error:

"The task sequence has been suspended. LiteTouch is trying to install applications. This cannot be performed in Windows PE."

I've tried moving it to different positions on the list (Higher and lower) to no avail, I always get the same error. Please advise.

-Thanks in advance!

• Edited by MDT Padawan Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:34 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• I had to clear the partition. This resolved the issue.
    • Marked as answer by MDT Padawan Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:51 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:50 PM
  • What do you mean by "clear the partition?" I'm having the same problem.

Clear the partition on the workstations or on the MDT server?

Monday, October 8, 2012 12:14 PM
  • On the computer you are deploying to "the client", boot into WindowsPE just like you are going to image and before you authenticate or get any dialogue boxes, press F8 in WindowsPE to get command prompt and type the following:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk 0
    4. list part
    5. select part 1
    6. clean
    7. create part primary
    8. assign
    9. active
    10. exit

Please mark this as the answer if it works.

• Proposed as answer by fubeca6 Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:55 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 12:18 PM
  • I'm doing this on 20 computers, is there anyway you think I can put this in the task sequence? Why is this error happening? I'm not installing anything through winPE other than the OS.
    Monday, October 8, 2012 12:25 PM
  • My best advise to you is to try it on 1 computer first. Then if it works you can work on a way to do it on all of the other computers. In my situation everything was working for me before this error. I made a change and then this problem occurred. I removed the Install Application task sequence step, I did not keep trying to deploy on different computers, just the 1 I was testing with. If this is happening on a computer that you did not have a failed deployment with, this may not be the solution to your problem.
    Monday, October 8, 2012 12:36 PM
  • On the computer you are deploying to "the client", boot into WindowsPE just like you are going to image and before you authenticate or get any dialogue boxes, press F8 in WindowsPE to get command prompt and type the following:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk 0
    4. list part
    5. select part 1
    6. clean
    7. create part primary
    8. assign
    9. active
    10. exit

Great!! worked for me...

thanks a lot :D cheers

Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:16 PM
  • That worked for me ..thanks
    Friday, April 4, 2014 10:36 AM
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk 0
    4. list part
    5. select part 1
    6. clean
    7. create part primary
    8. assign
    9. active
    10. exit

You are awesome this worked for me I didn't see how I was going to get my new computer to reimage again Thank you sooooooooooooo much!!!

• Proposed as answer by Anonymous Noob Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:16 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:10 PM
  • I used gPart to purge the partition on the drive, which resolved the issue.  Thanks for the tip everyone!
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:37 PM
  • Awesome! This worked like a charm. . . . Thanks

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 5:45 PM
  • This worked for me as well. Thank you!
    Friday, February 27, 2015 5:50 PM
  • Thx, saved my Life xD
    Friday, April 17, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Awesome..... this worked for me... thanks a lot dude..! :) :) 

Regards Rushikesh..

Thursday, October 15, 2015 10:23 AM
  • In my case I only did part 1-6 (and 9) as my MDT image will carve up the partitions itself as it does with new/wiped disks.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:53 PM
  • Hmmm, this sound good, but when i press F8, i get the list with all the opportunity with F:1,2,3,6,7,9,10 and 12, but no F8.

Is there another way to solve this issue?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:06 PM
  • Found the Solution:

Solution;

Open Bios F10, go to security, in Utilities to Hard Drive Tool, Utilities Secure Erase

After that you should be able to rebuild the pc.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:34 AM
  • FYI: The simple reason is that once the hard drive is partitioned and formatted MDT will create a MININT folder with the scripts and task sequence info. Let say something goes wrong during deployment and you decide to start a new deployment. When you boot back to your MDT boot image it will attempt to read what is in MININT and continue from there.

All you really need to do is delete the MININT folder and restart. Wiping the disk isn't needed but you're welcome to do that if you want to.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by january19 Monday, December 19, 2016 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 2:12 PM
  • Worked for me!  Cheers

Christopher Valentine

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Perfect! Worked great, thank you.
    Friday, October 28, 2016 1:40 PM
  • :D <g class="gr_ gr_9 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="9" id="9">excelent</g>, this comment helps was very very useful for me, I only add that I need to enter in the <g class="gr_ gr_487 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="487" id="487">advance</g> options for <g class="gr_ gr_90 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="90" id="90">litetouch</g> and select the option "save mode".
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:35 AM
  • I have never been able to delete the MININT folder because in most cases I cannot boot to the system to do so. My situation is mostly a device that will pick up where MDT left off, but it tries to install software while in WinPE. That's not allowed, so it loops, endlessly, to the same point, installing in WinPE. Booting back to MDT but getting to DOS and running the format is the only way for me. I just wish MDT would erase the MININT after EVERY attempt - I know it failed, I just want to start over fresh, but it hangs onto every previous failure. Would be nice to see that gone.
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Using MDT you could easily build yourself a generic WinPE boot image and boot to that. Or don't skip the welcome screen, then from the welcome screen press F8 and delete the MININT folder from the command prompt.

It's better that MININT isn't deleted automatically during an early failure in case that's the only place in which to grab logs.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, November 28, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Thank you so much for the info. It worked for me. Initially I had a struggle to find out where I need to press F8. Finally by reading the post closely I realized that we just need keep pressing F8 after selecting the MDT Media( with Key board support) and there we go.. command prompt poped up after few min.. 

Make sure you select the DISK 0 during the diskpart i.e. which could be the Hard disk... not the USB drive and follow the steps. This diskpart clean up should be deleting the MININT folder which has the app install logs where they left off.

Monday, January 16, 2017 9:32 PM
  • Thanks for the deep info on this.
    Monday, January 16, 2017 9:33 PM
  • I know this Post is a very old one, but some might to have this issue anyway.

For me it would worked too, but it was due to failed autologon with local Administrator. The machine tries to log on and run the script litetouch.wsf.

So i had the Folders _SMSTaskSequence and MININT still there, also the DeploymentShare.

All i needed to do ist starting manually the script C:\MININT\Scripts\Litetouch.wsf by an elevated commandline. The deployment will resume, install application, cleanup, etc.

Also you will see in Deployment Workbench, machine is now deployed 100%.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Worked for me.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 4:42 PM
  • For me, it got stuck at "Litetouch is trying to install Windows Updates", but same fix.  Thank you!!!  Seems this disk wipe fixes a lot of MDT errors I've had so far.
    • Edited by acatic Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:55 PM add'l info
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:55 PM
  • I had to clear the partition. This resolved the issue.
    Thank you!
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 6:11 AM
  • Thank You!
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 12:18 PM
  • FYI you can cut it down to just:

1. diskpart
    2. select disk 0
    3. clean

You don't need to bother recreating a partition or formatting as MDT will do all that for you.

Daniel Vega

Monday, December 3, 2018 4:19 PM