none
MDT 2013 - 8.1 USB Deployment - Does Not Start - Comand Prompt Only RRS feed

• Question

• So, long story short, I have a completed reference image that I need to be able to deploy to remote sites via USB.

I've made my media folder and placed the contents on the root of my USB key.  The computer allows me to boot from the key and select either x86 or x64 (either option ends in the same result.)  The computer loads PE and opens up to the greet me with the initial "Solution Accelerators" background.  I would expect that the deployment process should kick off at this point but, after a few moments, the X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe box appears and the party is over.

If I can explore the USB and if I try to manually start the litetouch script I get a prompt detailing the script path and a message stating: "No such interface supported". In the command prompt window, I get a resulting line stating "Access is denied".  I verified that folder permissions should not be causing the problem.

I am new to MDT and this hurdle is leaving me stumped.  Any advice would be more than appreciated.

• Edited by Dan L J Friday, April 11, 2014 9:24 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 9:21 PM

All replies

• Weird.

Next time you see this error in MDT WinPE Litetouch, can you run the following command:

cscript.exe x:\deploy\scripts\litetouch.wsf /debug:true /debugcapture

it should *crash*, if so, can you copy/paste the error here?

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:00 AM
  • Weird.

Next time you see this error in MDT WinPE Litetouch, can you run the following command:

cscript.exe x:\deploy\scripts\litetouch.wsf /debug:true /debugcapture

it should *crash*, if so, can you copy/paste the error here?

Thanks for the reply.  It gets weirder though, cscript is not being recognized as a command either.  Now why would that be happening?

It seems like all scripts are broken. Wizard is not working.  I would assume that explains why it does not seem to be creating a BDD.log?

Creating an ISO right now that I am going to try on a VM.

• Edited by Dan L J Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Just tried it via VM with an ISO I just generated, exact same issue. 

Boots into Solution Accelerator, displays command prompt and is done.  Attaching screen cap.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:24 PM
  • that *IS* weird, weird enough that I would assume that there are some *big* problems with your environment.

Try rebuilding the winpe images from *scratch* from within the MDT console.

• Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP, Moderator Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dan L J Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Cogito017 Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:34 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:36 PM
  • that *IS* weird, weird enough that I would assume that there are some *big* problems with your environment.

Try rebuilding the winpe images from *scratch* from within the MDT console.

I went back to my media folder and got rid of the "Boot" folder in "Deploy" and had it recreate it. I also deleted the root BOOT folder, EFI Folder, and bootmgr files for recreation. I tried this a couple of times.  When I investigate the dism.log for both attempts, I see ALOT of access denied errors.  I tried once with a Domain provided admin account and once with the local admin account, both accounts resulted in the same access denied errors.  The deployment share resides on my local machine.

I burned the generated LiteTouch iso from the network deployment share and it works with no hicups.  The Wizard starts and the lite touch process goes off without a hitch.  So my issue is a direct link to the USB Media deployment and, based off its DISM log, I obviously have an issue somewhere that occurs during the media update process.  Any idea where else I should be looking to resolve the issue?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Almost looks like drivers. I'd check to ensure your mass controller drivers are present in your drivers folder in MDT and are being baked into the WinPE. I don't have a MDT machine available to me at them moment to show you screenshots but that would be my first guess. 

The other question I have is which ADK did you download? (when was it downloaded) and is this Windows 8.1 with or without update 1?
    • Edited by Todd-LamotheMVP Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:03 PM clarification
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:00 PM
  • It is with 8.1 without the update.  I downloaded the latest ADK that would work with 8.1 Update 1.  Think it was released in the first week of April.

In terms of hardware, I have been trying to deploy to Dell Brand hardware.  I downloaded the CAB files for WinPE 5.0 from the Dell site and have those drivers setup in the "Out of Box" drivers section.  During the update media process, it goes through the process of mounting the PE Wim and injecting the drivers.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:37 PM
  • I am experiencing this exact issue as well.  The interesting thing for us is that some sites work and some sites do not.

Sean

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:45 PM
  • I only see the command prompt when starting up.  When I run the startup script manually I get the same "No such interface is supported" error.  I also cannot cscript/wscript inside of that WinPE environment for some reason.  That is probably causing the issues.

I found a couple articles on cscript/wscript in MDT media creation.  These errors seem to flare up because of active antivirus.  Try checking your dism log and look for access denied errors.  

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/496c46e7-212f-4be8-9943-443b8246f0dc/lti-deployment-in-mdt-2012-winpe-cscript-is-not-a-recognized-internal-or-external-command?forum=mdt#496c46e7-212f-4be8-9943-443b8246f0dc

EDIT:

Started from scratch on a fresh machine.  Made sure not to install any antivirus stuff (isolated network).  Issue was resolved.  

• Edited by Arlan Lloyd Saturday, May 24, 2014 11:42 PM Added Notes
    • Proposed as answer by Arlan Lloyd Saturday, May 24, 2014 11:42 PM
    Saturday, May 24, 2014 9:00 PM