none
Instructions for correct usage of Procdump RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need to use procdump to create a dump file at the exact moment that itunes on my windows 10 pc will cause the entire machine to hang. This will happen when I click to play any purchased movie.

Apple support told me to launch itunes and launch procdump with this command procdump -ma -t PID itunes.dmp.

However, when I click enter after typing in the command line, itunes will close and I cannot capture the hanging moment, ie playing a movie.

Can anyone please advice the correct command to type? Plus, should I use procdump64 or procdump. My windows 10 is version 1809 64bit. I'm not sure whether my itunes is also 64bit or not. I installed it from the microsoft store.

Please advice. Thanks.

Sunday, February 3, 2019 2:37 PM

All replies

• The command line you are using is used to create a dump file when the process terminates. Basically this just waits for the process to terminate then creates the dump so I'm not sure why this is causing iTtunes to terminate. Do you know if iTunes is closing cleanly or crashing  (are there any application crash events (Event ID 1000)  in the Application event log? 

For a hung application the correct syntax is procdump -ma -h PID. This will cause the dump to happen when the main application Window becomes unresponsive which sounds like it might be more appropriate for your scenario?

You can confirm whether iTunes is 32 or 64 bit by running Process Explorer, right clicking on the process in the tree view and selecting properties. Towards the bottom of the properties Window it states whether the image is 32 or 64 bit. Note however that if you run the 32 bit version of procdump it will handle this for you. As with other sysinternals tools the 64 bit version is embedded into the 32 bit version so it will automatically extract and use this. Alternatively if you run the 64 bit version against a 32 bit process it will create a 32 bit process dump.

MarkC (MSFT)

Monday, February 4, 2019 3:20 PM