DB Drive Full! RRS feed

• Question

• One of our exchange stores is full just the database not the logs, we store the logs separatley.

I'm trying to use Get-MailboxStatistics but it's failing me on getting the info I need.

How does everyone deal with this type of situation?

David Jenkins
    • Changed type David L. Jenkins Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:15 PM No right answer
    • Changed type Mike Crowley Friday, November 18, 2011 10:31 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think the database isn´t mounted and is not able to be mounted because the database is full.

1) Have you got a possibility to enlage the partition the database risides on.

2) if this is the case then you are able to do a offline defragmentation in order to get more space available. this is one example:

eseutil /d Database_Nam

But I think you should try to enlarge the databasepartition.

Further information you will find on: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328804/en

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
    Monday, November 7, 2011 7:28 PM
  • You can just move the database path to a drive with enough space;

2010: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351168.aspx

2007: http://exchangeserverpro.com/move-exchange-2007-storage-group-database-paths

2003: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope
    Monday, November 7, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Wish I could.  The db is online still.  I might have to see if I have a spare terabyte laying around.

David Jenkins
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:29 PM
  • have you checked the free space in the database in order to decide if it is useful to start a offline defragmentation in order to get free space on the drive.

Check for event 1221 in the Application Eventlog. (Exchange 2003 and older)

get-mailboxstatistics -database <Name of the Database> -status

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:39 PM
  • I would move it first to allow for any back logs to be rolled up/committed
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:47 PM
  • We had disks partitioned to have the db on one partition and the logs on another.  We moved the logs to another drive, removed the log partition and extended the db partition.

That brought things back online. 

Now I'm trying to determine what happened.  Why things filled up the way they did.

David Jenkins
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:06 PM
  • We just changed the failover to the secondary to let the logs play back.  We think there is db corruption on the primary.
    David Jenkins
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:04 PM
  • The db is still very large.  We noticed that the maintenance was getting killed by backups, but it was finishing after about a week.  I'm trying to determine why the db got so large.  It doubled in size in less than a week.

I'm talking a 200gb db went to 500gb in 7 days.

Any ideas how I can figure out what caused that?

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:51 PM
  • How much white space is within the DB?
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Not sure.  The DB is online so I can't run ESEUTIL.  It's Exch 2007.  I see there is a new posh command for 2010. 

Any idea how to find that without unmounting the db?

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:00 PM
  • It shows 106374 mb freespace after defrag.

Still looking at the article about bloat.

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:33 PM
    1. so your db as about 106GB of white space which is allot for sure but it doesn't make up for the 300GB in growth you are seeing
    2. I would run query to look at MB sizes since I think that will point you in the right direction of whats going on and to display mailbox size in Exchange 2007 run this command in Exchange Management Shell.

get-mailboxstatistics | fl displayname, totalitemsize

To pipe the output into a text file you can do this and then open the file in Excel to sort by size etc
    get-mailboxstatistics | fl displayname, totalitemsize > c:\mailboxsize.txt

Also see  http://blog.bruteforcetech.com/index.php/archives/491

You might find these interesting as well http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/tools/using-exchange-server-2007-built-in-scripts-part2.html

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:14 PM
  • [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxStatistics -Database pobox\sg3\sg3 | Measure-Object TotalDeletedItemSize -sum | foreach {$_.Sum/1gb}

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxStatistics -Database pobox\sg3\sg3 | Measure-Object TotalItemSize -sum | foreach {$_.Sum/1gb}

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:22 PM
  •  

The DB file size is 492 gb not including catalogue data. 

If I subtract the total of the whitespace, deleted size and total item size we have 140 gb’s of unaccounted for space being used.

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:05 PM
  • I'm talking about the TotalDeletedItemSize which I show in the POSH command above.

I turned down the retention period to only 1 day to see if that would help.

Is there a way to total the deleted items being help in retention?

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:08 PM
  • I see I'm not the only one with drive growing rapidly.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/d98aa9f7-d3da-4d64-b29a-a0661f897508

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Are you by chance running a 3rd party archiving solution that uses stubbing?  I know there have been some issues with that causing DB growth
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Were using Postini and Journal Archiving.  No stubbing.

http://www.postini.com/webdocs/archiving/en_US/arch_ex07_config/archiving_ex07_config.pdf

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:43 PM
  • At least I think no stubbing.
    David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Correct on the Postini stuff.

I haven't seen anything in mailbox stats that would indicate a specific user.  Most users are within their quota.  Nobody is allowed unlimited mailbox size and nobody was over 6 gb's for those that are special.  It certainly doesn't explain the db doubling in size over just a few days.

I keep going over what could be the causes for a DB to double in size in less than a week. 

I don't really see evidence of message looping, the deleted items retention period hasn't changed, there hasn't been any mailbox moves or anything of that nature.

I was wondering if there was some sort of log I could look at that would pinpoint if someone was doing something dumb like copying a bunch of old email from a PST to their mailbox, but even that wouldn't be 200gb worth.

David Jenkins
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:55 PM
  • I'm having the toughest time with your links.

The User Monitor doesn't work at all.  The tools required to be installed for running tracing seem to be gone in the recent SDK which is suggested for download.

David Jenkins
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Stupid RUNAS Admin Command.

Ignore the last post.

David Jenkins
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:45 PM
  • LOL ok, NP
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Although I got the monitor to work I don't really see anything that would indicate a user is the problem.

The defrag from yesterday finished and it's up to 250gb of white space.  So really all space is accounted for.

I guess since I wasn't ready to catch the problem I really won't be able to go back and find the issue.

David Jenkins
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Yes sometimes its hard to figure these things out in the rear view mirror.   That said it could be that since your online nightly maintenance was getting killed by the overlapping backup jobs that items marked for deletion were never getting freed up from the database and it just compounded over time, then again it could be something totally different. 

At this point I would either create a new DB and move the mailboxes to that database, or take the current DB offline and do a defrag OR you could leave it as is and theoretically NEW data will now fill in that white space and until you reach that threadhold it should contain the physical DB growth.  The major downside to leaving it with 250GB of white space is that your backups are elongated and should you have a failure it will take longer to recover that DB as well.

If you are interested in 3rd party products for Exchange check out our website www.lucid8.com since we make some fairly interesting products that may serve you well in the future.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    • Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Friday, November 18, 2011 11:19 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:01 PM