Cleaning Permissions from a site collections RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a business partner that will be sending a content database for a site collection they have on Sharepoint 2007 which we would like to mount on a legacy sharepoint 2007 farm we have. I am assuming that once the content db is mounted in a site collection on our side it will contain user accounts from the partner's domain, let say contoso domain. How can we remove all users in the format contoso\username from the content database, including any site,list document library they have rights to and leave just our users let say in the format fourthcoffee\username? I can see the names in the userfinfo tables in SQL but I am not sure if removing them only from SQL will do the trick and not leave orphaned entries.

Thanks

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi, you definitely do not want to remove anything from SQL server as it will put your environment in an out-of-support state.

Next, all metadata on all files / items are tied to the user's name that uploaded them. Are you looking to cleanse all of that information, or only remove access?

Also, do you know if they have any customizations deployed in their current SharePoint farm?

Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:19 PM
  • First we need to remove access but that shouldn't matter here because the accounts "contoso\username" have no way to authenticate to our AD. Second, we would like to remove the accounts from sharepoint entirely without leaving any orphaned GUIDs anywhere. As for customization, they claim they don't have any but we never know until we mount the DB and that's when we will run into missing webparts, features,etc...All I care about from my end is cleaning the content DB from the accounts.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Do you know the size of the database/ site collection? If it's around 20GB or less, your best bet would be to perform an STSADM -o Export -Versions 4 and omit the -includeusersecurity parameter. Then you could reimport it using STSADM into a clean site collection. All of the metadata of content creations/modifications will be assigned to your user account.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288940(v=office.12).aspx

Friday, December 13, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Hi 

if you have a separate staging farm you can change the credentials useing stsadm as Updatefarmcredentials Refer

Ishaan Puniani | http://coderower.com

Friday, December 13, 2013 3:21 PM
  • The size of the content DB is 200 GB. Not sure if export/import is the ideal solution here. We don't have a staging Farm. All cleanup needs to be done on the target production farm where we are attaching this database.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Is that 200 GB across multiple Site Collections or a single Site Collection?

If it's a single Site Collection, you would need to write a lot of code to iterate through every potential item and reassign all of the people lookup fields including Created By and Modified By. An alternate method would be to use a third party migration tool to go from your attached site collection into a clean one.

Friday, December 13, 2013 4:57 PM
  • It's 200GB one site collection unfortunately.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 5:12 PM
  • It might be worth asking the partner to clear all recycle bins and the second stage recycle bin. This often has a good impact on reducing the GB footprint.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Friday, December 13, 2013 5:50 PM
    Answerer