Can't login with Administrator Password is Blank RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have a WD storage running a MS windows storage server 2008 r2, I removed the password of my Admin account.

When trying to login again thru RDP it failing because of "logon failure user account restriction possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed"

Please advise for any solution.

Regards,

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:29 PM

Answers

• You can try

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\limitblankpassworduse
    change from 1 to 0

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:41 PM
  • you can do that using 2 methods:

1. Type regedit in run.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    3. Look for LimitBlankPasswordUse name on the right pane, double click on it and set the value data to 0.

OR

1. Click the Start button and type gpedit.msc in the Search programs and files bar and hit enter.
    2. At the left pane, go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
    3. Look for “Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only” and double click on it.
    4. By default the Enable option is selected and all you need to do is select “Disable” and click OK.

Also you can refer below link

http://www.top-password.com/blog/how-to-fix-logon-failure-user-account-restriction/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog:Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:44 PM
  • You need to access server in recovery mode and reset password, to do that you can refer below link

http://www.bursky.net/index.php/2012/04/reset-domain-administrator-password-windows-server-2008/

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer" Mai Ali | My blog:Technical | Twitter: Mai Ali

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:08 PM

All replies

• You can try

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\limitblankpassworduse
    change from 1 to 0

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:41 PM
  • you can do that using 2 methods:

1. Type regedit in run.
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    3. Look for LimitBlankPasswordUse name on the right pane, double click on it and set the value data to 0.

OR

1. Click the Start button and type gpedit.msc in the Search programs and files bar and hit enter.
    2. At the left pane, go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
    3. Look for “Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only” and double click on it.
    4. By default the Enable option is selected and all you need to do is select “Disable” and click OK.

Also you can refer below link

http://www.top-password.com/blog/how-to-fix-logon-failure-user-account-restriction/

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Hi

I can't login to the remote computer to adjust those settings?

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 7:48 PM
  • You need to access server in recovery mode and reset password, to do that you can refer below link

http://www.bursky.net/index.php/2012/04/reset-domain-administrator-password-windows-server-2008/

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:08 PM