none
DPM 2012 cannot perform Item level recovery on vhdx volumes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a physical DPM 2012 SP1 server with the latest hotfixes and rollup backing up the virtual machines on a 2012 Server Core Hyper-V failover cluster.  I am experiencing problems when trying to perform Item Level Restore on virtual machines that have vhdx volumes.  The vhdx is not mounted and I get the pop up below.  ILR on virtual machines that have vhd volumes work as expected.  The error that pops up is 958, DPM cannot browse the contents of the virtual machine on the protected computer.  None of the scenarios listed on the pop up apply to me.  Has anyone experienced this issue?  It kind of sucks that I can't perform IRL on this new and improved vhdx format.  Any insight on this problem is greatly appreciated.

• Edited by deanmil Tuesday, September 3, 2013 8:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Is your DPM is installed on a Windows 2008 server ? If it is the case then it does not manages .vhdx (for item-level recovery your DPM server needs to mount the .vhdx), you have to upgrade to Windows 2012.

PS: workaround is to restore the .VHDX file on any windows 2012, then attach it locally.

Regards
    Julien

• Edited by Julien Momier Monday, September 23, 2013 12:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by deanmil Monday, September 23, 2013 12:35 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 12:21 PM

All replies