none
Can't type Bitlocker password on every second boot attempt. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I recently encrypted several drives including the system drive. Everything works fine, except one peculiar problem during booting. The PC doesn't have TPM.
    When I first switch on the PC, the Bitlocker screen appears but I can't type the password. The cursor is blinking but nothing happens as I type. After a minute or so, the PC will shut down. When I switch it on again, I am able to type the password normally. Also when I press the restart button during the time when the keyboard input is not recognized, after restarting, I can enter the password normally too. The same procedure every day. On first boot attempt it never works, on second always.

I tried 2 keyboards, wireless USB and a wired USB, it makes no difference.
    I have a dual monitor setup, at first I thought it was related, because on first boot attempts (failed) the password prompt always shows up only on the secondary screen (which is wrong), on the second attempt it shows up on both monitors.
    I switched to single monitor setup, but it didn't change. No keyboard input whatsoever is recognized on the first boot attempt. After restarting I can enter the password normally. Sometimes the background color will be black, but it doesn't matter...

Any ideas how to fix it?
    Kind regards
    Tom

• Edited by UMX515 Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:18 AM

Answers

• Thank you Ronald. I did as you wrote, and an interesting thing happened: on first attempt the same as before, keyboard input not recognized, after a restart with the key on a USB drive it automatically let me in without typing the password.

But later I found the cause of the problem: I found out that when I click on Start ->Shut Down it actually hibernates and when I press the power button on the next day, it resumes from hibernation.
    I disabled hibernation in Energy Options and right now Bitlocker seems to work as it should when I press the Power button.

I suppose BL should work with hibernation too (it works so on my laptop without any issues), but I can certainly live without hibernation on the desktop. I don't really need hibernation and this password issue was a bit irritating.

Thank you again Ronald for your time and help.

Cheers,
    Tom
    • Marked as answer by UMX515 Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:56 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:55 PM

All replies

• Hi.

At this point, it is not clear if this is a bitlocker problem or a problem of your hardware. If the cursor blinks in the upper left corner, it might be that the boot loader wasn't even found, so it could mean, your hard drive has a problem on every second start. This is possible. Certain SSD drives have firmware problems that produce effects like that.

Is it an ssd?

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Thanks. Yes, it is an SSD. It didn't seem to have any boot problems without Bitlocker. What could be done about that?
    I will try to update the firmware.

• Edited by UMX515 Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:14 PM
  • You have to try some things, yes, update the firmware, first and then let's see.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:44 PM
  • I updated the firmware on a Samsung SSD (with data). The operating system is on a SanDisk SSD, and their SSD Toolkit Software says that it already has the latest firmware. It is SDSSDP256G.

Their SSD Toolkit says also: Overall SMART Status: Pass
    Supported Features: DSM (Trim), SMART, Security, NCQ, APM

ID

Attribute

Current Value

Threshold

Raw Value

Status

Reallocated Sector Count

N/A

Power On Hours

N/A

0C

Power Cycle Count

N/A

AB

Program Fail Count

N/A

AC

Erase Fail Count

N/A

AD

N/A

N/A

AE

Unexpected Power Loss Count

N/A

BB

Reported Uncorrectable Errors

N/A

E6

% of Total Write/Erase Count

N/A

E8

Available Reserve Space

Pass

EA

% of Total Write/Erase Count (BC Blocks)

N/A

F1

LBA Sectors Written

N/A

F2

LBA Sectors Read

N/A

• Edited by UMX515 Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:04 AM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:03 AM
  • Ok, it was worth a try.

Now please let's determine if it's only the password protector that cannot be fed with a password or if somehow BL is not ready every second boot. To do this, copy a startup key to a usb thumb drive. Whenever that drive is plugged in, windows would start without bitlocker asking for a password. You create that key like that: plug in the thumb drive, let's say it appears as drive x:, then open an elevated command prompt and launch:

manage-bde -protectors -add c: -sk x:\

Afterwards restart your computer a few times to test it.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:02 AM
  • Hi UMX515,

What is the exact machine model?

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Thank you Ronald. I did as you wrote, and an interesting thing happened: on first attempt the same as before, keyboard input not recognized, after a restart with the key on a USB drive it automatically let me in without typing the password.

But later I found the cause of the problem: I found out that when I click on Start ->Shut Down it actually hibernates and when I press the power button on the next day, it resumes from hibernation.
    I disabled hibernation in Energy Options and right now Bitlocker seems to work as it should when I press the Power button.

I suppose BL should work with hibernation too (it works so on my laptop without any issues), but I can certainly live without hibernation on the desktop. I don't really need hibernation and this password issue was a bit irritating.

Thank you again Ronald for your time and help.

Cheers,
    Tom
    • Marked as answer by UMX515 Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:56 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:55 PM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

It is a custom-built PC with i7-3770, 32GB RAM, Asrock Z77 Pro mainboard and AMD R9 390 GPU.
    Kind regards,

Tom

Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:03 PM