adobe products - (CS4) reveal in explorer windows 7 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• When I reveal in explorer in bridge (and whatever its called in lightroom) the folder opens but the file is not highlighted.  If I reveal in explorer again, THEN the file is highlighted.  In a folder with 1000 DNGs, its kinda important.

Dreamweaver also has this issue.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this issue occur priror to using Windows 7 64 bit?

If you upgraded to windows 7, I suggest reinstall the applications.

I believe adobe support should be the best resource on this issue.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by getho Friday, February 19, 2010 3:22 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:54 AM
  • Clean install of windows 7 64 bit.

Yes have adobe support looking at it, but feature works in XP

Friday, February 19, 2010 3:22 AM
  • I made a very tenuous connection here...  There's a bug in Explorer where it tries to show folder roots being expanded for the first time in the Navigation pane.  Since you're seeing the failure to highlight on the first start of Explorer, I wonder...

It's possible that the bug described in the following thread is responsible for this.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproperf/thread/17a83954-8c3c-4d45-9dd6-03f6cdd1604c

Apparently the following software works around that bug, and can be installed in a minimal fashion so as to provide the bug fix but without actually having to change your start menu:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

I haven't evaluated classicshell personally yet, but I plan to when I have a little time.

-Noel
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 2:33 PM
  • is that a windows 7 only bug? Because problem only arose with 7 - worked fine in XP

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:27 AM
  • Yes.

Explorer clearly has been changed big-time in Windows 7, so I'm not surprised a function like this is no longer working.

-Noel
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:00 AM
  • ____, I edited that post with a load of information that isn't there.  Yes I read the long post, have downloaded but not installed classic shell yet.

Through literally hours of testing I discovered that if I have previously opened a folder then, then the highlight works.
    I cant confirm but at the moment I'd say if I've viewed the folder contents in windows 7 at any time then the highlight works. Certainly folders I looked at yesterday work working today.  I can confirm that you have to view the folder contents: folders I've created (view copy paste for instance) but not opened do NOT work.

Why opening and viewing folder contents would make a difference I have no idea, but I've tested this on probably 100 folders, I'm 99% certain this is the issue.

BTW just tested this on vista 64 bit and it works fine

Microsoft broke the cardinal rule of software development: If you change an intrinsic part of the user experience make sure its is universally acknowledged as BETTER!
    But my major bugbare is with their visual data organisation (yellow folders. Still yellow folders), and other visual aspects of the OS (eg The look of folders -do we need to see through a folder?). Linux mint is more boring but far far easier on the eye.

Microsoft need to do some research on the psychology of perception: people respond to shape, size and colour first. Thats why headings are bigger.  If you have to read something to navigate anywhere, you've failed. The fact that this is now WORSE than in XP leads me to conclude that if the devil is in the details, Microsoft are truly evil!   Oh yes and they better wise up to meta data PDQ: WINFS was the most exciting thing they've come up with in 20 years, and they couldn't even get it out there.  I reckon I could design a more intuitive file and folder visual structure in a day.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:22 AM
  • anyone know what I can do with this hard-won info?  Is it worth sending it to microsoft? Where would I send it?

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:07 AM
  • anyone?

are the porblems with explorer likly to be addressed or do we just live with them as "features"
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:05 AM