Multiple Domains RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer who is in the process of acquiring multiple companies w/ multiple domains (untrusted).  Eventually they will migrate these into 1 or 2 trusted domains, but in the meantime, they would like to implement FCS.

Could they setup multiple FCS servers on the different domains so the machines from each domain could report to that server.  Once they've migrated/consolidated domains, they could point them to the new FCS servers?  Also, would it be an issue using WSUS in this scenario to deploy the client and definitions and then consolidate that too?

If there is a better way to accomplish this, I'm all ears.  Thanks!

xtiyu32n
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

•  

If there are no two way trusts, you will need an implementation in each domain. If the domains are small (under 1000 machines) you can have all the FCS roles living on a single server (per domain). If the install base is small enough, just use VM's until everything can use a single FCS installation.

Since I don't know how big your environment is, it is difficult to tell you the best options. But don't underestimate the horsepower the SQL role needs.

At a later point in time, you can reconfigure each client to point to a new management server. Many ways to do this, but might be easier to uninstall and reinstall the dlient through scripts.

• Marked as answer by knicosia Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:11 PM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:24 PM