none
DPM Storage Pool for Short Term Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I am using IBM DS7000 Storage and i have the following disks available on it which i am planning to use for Short Term Storage Pool on DPM2010.

4 x 1TB SATA Disks (RAID5) - LUN1

4 x 2TB SATA Disks (RAID5) - LUN2

I am planning to map LUN1 & LUN2 on the DPM Server and add those in the DPM Storage Pool.

Is there any problem doing that? 

Please suggest.

Regards,

Maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:36 AM

Answers

• HI,

I don't see any problems with that, so you should see two disks in Windows disk management, a 3TB and a 6TB.  Just initialize those two disks in disk management, then convert them to GPT disks (since they are over 2TB).  In DPM - add the two disks to the storage pool and then you can create protection groups.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:58 PM

All replies

• HI,

I don't see any problems with that, so you should see two disks in Windows disk management, a 3TB and a 6TB.  Just initialize those two disks in disk management, then convert them to GPT disks (since they are over 2TB).  In DPM - add the two disks to the storage pool and then you can create protection groups.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Hi,

I am using DPM 2012 RC and have enough storage pool (LUNS assigned from Netapp Filer), Client requirement is to keep the data for 1 year..

Can you please suggest is there any problem..as i read some where that we cannot keep the retention range more than 64 days.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

For client protection you can maintain up to a max of 448 days recovery points.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399203.aspx for more details.

• Proposed as answer by universemohan Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:55 AM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:28 PM