Keep Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets Visible When Show Desktop/Minimize All Windows RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 7 Professional on my work computer.  When I click on the "show desktop" button in the lower right corner (to minimize all open windows), gadgets on my desktop (currently docked on the side like a Vista Sidebar) stay visible.  In other words, clicking "show desktop" allows me to see my desktop, the icons on my desktop, AND my gadgets.  However, the gadgets are NOT set to "always on top" -- they don't sit on top of active windows in which I am working.  All of this is exactly as I like it.

The problem is I cannot duplicate this setup at home.  There I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit if that matters), and I cannot for the life of me figure out what settings will yield the same result.  At home, when I click "show desktop" all the gadgets disappear -- I see my desktop and icons on the desktop but the gadgets are not there.  I can use the hotkey Win-G to bring them up, but why do I have to do that at home when I don't at work???

Help! 

• Edited by StovallC Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:32 PM added clarification
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 4:30 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to verify if you installed IE 9 Beta on this machine.

I have tested it on local machine which has IE 9 installed and got the same results as yours. And after I uninstalled IE9, it will work well. It seems that IE9 affects the Gadget behavior.

I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

At the same time, if you would like to remove IE9, please refer to the following steps:

1 Login with administrator account.

2 Close all programs.

3 Click “Start” and click “Control Panel”.

4 Click “Programs and Features” .

5 Click “View installed updates”.

6 Find “Windows Internet Explorer 9” under Microsoft Windows updates and right click it to Uninstall.

7 Restart computer.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 29, 2010 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:31 AM

All replies

• I have just encountered the same issue and after some searching in forums I found someone referring to it having to do with Internet Explorer 9 Beta. This problem did only start-up on my Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit system. I have chosen not to uninstall the program as of yet since it is a beta program bugs like this are to be expected and should be fixed some time soon. If you too have only started encountering this issue since installing IE 9 Beta (if you have even done such a thing) then maybe try uninstalling it to see if that is really the issue.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:33 AM
  •  

Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to verify if you installed IE 9 Beta on this machine.

I have tested it on local machine which has IE 9 installed and got the same results as yours. And after I uninstalled IE9, it will work well. It seems that IE9 affects the Gadget behavior.

I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

At the same time, if you would like to remove IE9, please refer to the following steps:

1 Login with administrator account.

2 Close all programs.

3 Click “Start” and click “Control Panel”.

4 Click “Programs and Features” .

5 Click “View installed updates”.

6 Find “Windows Internet Explorer 9” under Microsoft Windows updates and right click it to Uninstall.

7 Restart computer.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 29, 2010 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Leo -

I did in fact install the IE9 beta.  I noted OphirN's reply the other day stating he had experienced the same problem after installing IE9 on his system, and figured that must be the culprit.

Hopefully this behavior can be corrected in a future update.

I like the changes in IE9 and it works better with some sites I use (like Westlaw -- I am an attorney) than other browsers, so I will have to decide whether to just deal with having to hotkey the gadgets back to visibility or whether to uninstall IE9.

Thanks!

Monday, November 29, 2010 10:28 PM
  • I have the same exact problem and I've been looking for an answer via google, good thing I just decided to go on Forums for Windows 7..thanks guys!
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 10:50 PM