none
Best Approach to Uninstall Project Server From The Farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have inherited a SP2013 farm where Project Server 2013 has been partially deployed. By this I mean that an APP server has been spun up, had SP installed and been added to the farm and then had Project Server installed. The WFE has not had Project Server installed and has not had PSConfig run. I am not sure if PSConfig has been run on the new APP server.

My question is what is the appropriate process to remove Project Server from the farm without breaking anything?

Thanks

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:54 PM

All replies

• Paul,

Unfortunately  you  wont be able to uninstall only Project Server. To remove project server from the farm you have to uninstalled  Project Server and SharePoint and rebuild new config.

However your scenario has some advantages , since you have not run SharePoint Configuration wizard on APP server which means your SharePoint Config is still with SharePoint schema.

One thing is for sure you have to remove Project and SharePoint both from APP server. I think following steps may help you from rebuilding entire farm

Note : Before doing this in prod, take all precautions to backup existing state of your farm (Farmbackup, DB backup etc), if possible re-create this scenario in non prod environment and test following steps.

1. Move services from App server to WFE server, make sure central admin is also running on WFE

2. Disconnect APP server from CA or by renaming DSN key (Since you have installed Project Server, by running PSConfig you wont get option to disconnect the server from the farm

3. Validate that server is no longer part of SharePoint farm topology from CA

4. Running SharePoint Configuration wizard could help

5. Uninstall Project Server and then SharePoint Server from APP server

6. Reboot the server and validate web sites are also removed from IIS

7. Install SharePoint Server and current patch of the farm

8. Connect the APP server to the farm and re-configure the services as before or this server can be configured as WFE and old WFE can become APP

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, September 27, 2013 3:03 AM
  • Hrishi - thanks for your answer - apologies for not replying for such a long time. 

Management figured there were too many risks so wanted to leave things be. Now of course they want me to try and fix things again. 

They now want to simple remove the APP server from the farm. When I check in CA in Servers in Farm I see the APP Server with a status of No Action Required and there is a link to Remove Server. I also see the WFE with a link to Installation Required which then leads to the Manage Patch page where Project Server is listed as needing installation.

So now I want to understand if I can simple click on Remove Server on the APP server to remove that server from the Farm. All the services running on it are also running on the WFE.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:01 AM
  • No problem Paul. I can understand

Safest way would be , execute SharePoint configuration wizard on the server which needs to be removed from the farm and disconnect the server from the farm

Hrishi Deshpande Senior Consultant

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:06 AM
  • Thanks. I tried running the wizard on the APP server and it reports Project Server is missing on the WFE and will not continue. The message says that the missing components or patches must be installed on the WFE before the wizard can run.

Any thoughts?

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:45 PM
  • Try to remove the server from the SPCA - Servers in Farm page.

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

Friday, March 28, 2014 5:08 PM