Windows 7 and Windows Mobile 6.5 RRS feed

• Question

• So here is my question.  What is the work around if you have the latest os on your phone (Windows Mobile 6.5) and the latest os on your PC (Windows 7 Ultimate)  They are not compatible but if you Have XP with Activesync 4.5 it works fine with Windows Mobile 6.5.

2 new Microsoft OS's that dont work together.  I wish I didn't blow away my whole box to put windows 7 on because now i can't sync my phone.

I'm pretty bitter about this whole scenario so if anyone would like to shine some light on this, I would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:08 AM

Answers

• Ok ... i figured it out finally.  WMDC wouldnt even run or Install, i should say, even though there was a setting portion in Control panel for it.

I found a article about how It wont run without running windows media player first.  ( fresh Install and never ran it yet)  So I went to run it only to find out It didnt exist.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate N which didnt have any Media Software included. ( Didnt know that)  So, I downloaded the whole media pack and installed.  then I ran media player once and Voila!  All the phone drivers installed properly, WMDC Installed properly, Phone connected and sync'd.

Whew!!  I'm glad thats over.  I almost went back to XP Pro.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, November 20, 2009 3:18 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:05 PM

All replies

• Mobile 6.1 will not load properely either.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Hi Djmadmatt

Thanks for the post. Your device may not synchronize for several reasons. I suggest you to boot in Clean Boot Mode. For further information, check the link: http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

If the issue occurs in clean boot mode too, try to remove all the features of windows mobile and then reinstall it. 

Hope this resolves the issue, otherwise open Event Viewer and try to find clues and share them with us.

Regards
    Anuj
    • Edited by Sharma Anuj Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:44 AM After more researching
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Great .. Thank You!
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:38 AM
  • I'm hopeing to try this later today.  I'm still kinda wondering what is going to happen because Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 clearly states it does not support windows mobile 6.5.  Well, Its not in the list of supported operating systems and it says if its not listed it wont work.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:40 PM
  • OK ... Tried "Clean Mode"  Didnt work.  Also, when I try to change settings in windows mobile device center I get this:

Windows Mobile Device Center
    ---------------------------
    Your settings could not be saved because you do not have sufficient permissions. However, if you have changed your serial port selection, it will be saved until you restart the PC.
    ---------------------------

I am the admin on the machine so how can I not have sufficent permissions?

Also a Windows Mobile Device Update on "Windows Update" seems to be available but everytime I try to install it it fails with:
     Error Details, Code 800F0206

Also when trying to install the "unknown device" portion of my phone in device manager, I get:

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempiting to install it.  Windows Mobile - based Device.  Install class is not present or is invalid.

Arghhhhhh
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:11 PM
  • I am running Windows 7 Professional with Winodows Mobile Device Center 6.1.6965 on my Touch Pro 2 (Tilt 2) with Windows Mobile 6.5 and have been able to sync without any issues.  Can you confirm what version of Mobile Device Center you are running?
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Ok ... i figured it out finally.  WMDC wouldnt even run or Install, i should say, even though there was a setting portion in Control panel for it.

I found a article about how It wont run without running windows media player first.  ( fresh Install and never ran it yet)  So I went to run it only to find out It didnt exist.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate N which didnt have any Media Software included. ( Didnt know that)  So, I downloaded the whole media pack and installed.  then I ran media player once and Voila!  All the phone drivers installed properly, WMDC Installed properly, Phone connected and sync'd.

Whew!!  I'm glad thats over.  I almost went back to XP Pro.
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, November 20, 2009 3:18 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Hi Djmadmatt

Nice to hear that the issue is resolved. Thank you and Hfchavarria too for sharing the information.

Regards
    Anuj 
    Friday, November 6, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Yeah .. me too!  Hopefully someone posts a Technet article saying running WMDC wont work on a 7N machine.  You would think it should because there are a lot of buisness professionals who may not have any media services that need to sync their phone contacts, calander etc.

Thanks everyone,
    Matt
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Hello djmadmatt

Where did you get the download ??? Windows media player 12 ??? or Windows media center ??
    Could you send me the link please ??  (in Spanish)
    Thanks a lot
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:31 AM
  •  you have to go here.  sorry i don't know spanish, but you can select which version you need.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Hello everyone!
    I specifically chose version N of the Windows 7 because I don't want / need Microsoft media pack.
    But now I encountered the same problem when trying to establish an Active Sync connection with my Touch Diamond. Is there another workaround?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:17 AM
  • Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 clearly states it does not support windows mobile 6.5

According to following link, Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 should support windows mobile 6.5
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/device-center-download.mspx

Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 works only with the following versions of the Windows Mobile operating system:

• Windows Mobile 6.5
    • Windows Mobile 6.1
    • Windows Embedded CE 6.0
    • Windows Mobile 6
    • Windows Mobile 5.0 with Messaging and Security Feature Pack
    • Windows Mobile 5.0
    • Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition
    • Windows Mobile 2003
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:00 AM
  • I have a related issue working with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit synching media with a Verizon HTC Touch Pro 2 running WM6.5 via Windows Media Player 12.0.   The issue is that while I'm able to use WMDC to connect and synch contacts, email, tasks, and other "Outlook like" content... it does not allow synching of Media files.  

Within WMDC, I follow the steps below to synch media

• Connect the Device
    • With the device Connected, I choose Pictures, File, and Video
    • Hit the More link
    • Choose Add media to your device from Windows Media Player
    • Media Player 12 opens to the Sync page
    • The Media Player 12 Synch interface tells me to connect a device.  
    • See step 1 & 2

For some reason, Media Player does not recognize the device. Further, when i look into the options within WMDC and Media Player, I find no way to establish or manage the connection (beyond the already configured contact/task/etc options which already work).

Is this a known problem?  I haven't found anything posted about it... but perhaps i'm looking in the wrong place or at dated material.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 7:47 PM