SharePoint 2010 how to support multiple browsers RRS feed

Answers

• All I can say is that there is something clearly wrong with the customization.  I've viewed SharePoint sites on both Mac Safari and iPads without major issues.  Neither are fully supported, but should work for regular viewing.  Mac Safari has problems with some admin functions and things like the windows explorer view since they both depend on ActiveX controls that don't work on a Mac.  And the iPad has issues editing rich text boxes because the on screen keyboard doesn't open when an RTF control is accessed.  But neither of those causes and issue when just browsing.  I would double check the HTML that is being rendered when your customization is in place.  I suspect something in the HTML is malformed.  Try a site with the default branding.  If that works then the problem is with your custom branding, not the browser compatibility.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by dm80 Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:27 AM

All replies

• You don't need to do anything.  SharePoint supports multiple different browser types out of the box.  Some of the browser support gets better as you install some of the cumulative updates, but in general 2010 works with all the browsers listed in the articles you referenced.  Are you having some particular problem with a specific browser?

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:51 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Paul very useful info.  Yeah so far i've tried to view our custom branded sharepoint site with Safari on a mac and on an ipad and nothing shows just a white screen.  any ideas?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 11:27 PM
  • All I can say is that there is something clearly wrong with the customization.  I've viewed SharePoint sites on both Mac Safari and iPads without major issues.  Neither are fully supported, but should work for regular viewing.  Mac Safari has problems with some admin functions and things like the windows explorer view since they both depend on ActiveX controls that don't work on a Mac.  And the iPad has issues editing rich text boxes because the on screen keyboard doesn't open when an RTF control is accessed.  But neither of those causes and issue when just browsing.  I would double check the HTML that is being rendered when your customization is in place.  I suspect something in the HTML is malformed.  Try a site with the default branding.  If that works then the problem is with your custom branding, not the browser compatibility.

• Marked as answer by dm80 Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:27 AM