none
MDT Deployment Failure notifications RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not looking for help with a specific failure code, but what I am looking for help could be what steps happen for failed deployment, which scripts fire off, etc. My end goal is an email alert being sent out when any deployments fails. This would be very helpful for remote installs.

Thanks!

Monday, August 25, 2014 4:04 PM

Answers

• There are two kinds of errors:

1. When a step in the task sequence fails, and the step is *NOT* marked "continue on error" that means the whole task sequence failed and the machine is in an unknown state. This is displayed to the user with the "red/salmon" colored screen at the end of the deployment. If you wanted to hook in here, it could require some custom modifications of the Litetouch.wsf script to ensure that some custom action takes place.

2. The other kind of error is the "Yellow" screen, which are errors during the installation, but errors that weren't catastrophic enough to halt the entire task sequence. In this case, you would need to parse through the bdd.log file to find what they mean.

When dealing with any class of errors in MDT in a production environment, I would definitely set up the SLSHare variable in the cs.ini, this will force Litetouch.wsf to upload the MDT log file(s) including bdd.log to a public share. Even for massive corporate wide IT Deployments, I would recommend setting up a share for this.

Secondly, the easy way to monitor all classes of errors, is to setup a MDT Litetouch Monitoring Share, that should show you when/where/what machines are passing/failing deployments.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:33 PM