none
Can I safely create this reg key on our Server 2012 R2 and then deploy via GPO?

Question

• I'm trying to disable the Windows 10 feature that keeps changing the last used printer to the default on all of our domain joined computers at both locations. I attempted to browse the remote registry of a workstation I modified after I made the change on a workstation to disable the Windows 10 default printer feature however the HKEY_Current_User path was not available. I could only see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS when using the registry wizard in Group Policy Management

My next thought was then to choose local computer using the wizard on the server and create the following key on our server and deploy it that way but I was curious if that was safe to do? the key is "HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LegacyDefaultPrinterMode" set to 1 (See link below)

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/reverting-new-default-printer-feature-windows-10-november-update

• Edited by pstoric Monday, July 11, 2016 8:55 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 8:52 PM

Answers

• Have you tried deploying via HKLM?

HKCU - Is for current user, so i'm afraid the reg change is applied to the admin account not to the login user.

Check out link below to find out more.

https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-preferences-1-deploying-registry-settings.html

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to my research, Registry wizard will allow you to select items from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS on the remote machine, if you need other areas of the registry you will need to install the Remote Server Administration Tools onto the reference computer and add the Group Policy Preferences Console via Programs and Turn Windows Features on or off. Run through the same process on the remote machine’s console to import the relevant registry items.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:34 AM
  • Just my 2 cents.

I think do a test with a single PC with the registry you want to deploy.

Test, test and test if it works as expected.

If everything is okay, then deploy it to production.

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:40 AM
  • Ah ok that makes sense. I believe I already have RSAT installed on a PC so I'll try to test that out over the next few days. I'll let you know how it works.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

Please feel free to tell us once you got any update.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:12 AM
  • > deploy it that way but I was curious if that was safe to do? the key is

Yes it is. The remote registry does not know which user is the "current
    user" on the remote system, so you are restricted to HKLM and HKU.

> "HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LegacyDefaultPrinterMode"
    > set to 1 (See link below)

Simply type it in... :-)

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:44 PM
  • Thanks Martin, I tried that originally when I wasn't using the wizard but when I tested it on a workstation the setting wasn't being applied. The GPO was but it didn't' work

Going to try tonight from another Windows 10 PC w/ RSAT using the wizard to see if that works.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:01 PM
  • So I just tried that and it seems setup properly however the setting is still on.

Here is an RSOP screenshot from the client PC. The "Disable Win10 Default Printer" GPO is applied. What's going on?

• Edited by pstoric Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:55 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:53 PM
  • Your screen shot is not clear, are you able to upload it to Onedrive and paste the link.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:19 AM
  • > So I just tried that and it seems setup properly however the setting is
    > still on.

Yes, you cannot do this in "Computer configuration", because here, HKCU
    points to HKU\.DEFAULT... You MUST use User Configuration.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 10:39 AM
  • Any update?
    Monday, July 18, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Have you tried deploying via HKLM?

HKCU - Is for current user, so i'm afraid the reg change is applied to the admin account not to the login user.

Check out link below to find out more.

https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-preferences-1-deploying-registry-settings.html

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:09 AM