none
Using Master File with inserted projects and some of the data isn't showing through the Master but is in Individual schedules RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are using MS Project Professional 2007 (Not server) and we do have the service pack downloaded.

We use a Master schedule that only contains inserted projects and some of the data isn't showing through the Master when we expand everything but is in Individual schedules. we can clearly see that all schedules are expanded.

There are approx. 28,000 tasks through 35 schedules. All of the schedules are in the Master where we used the insert feature.

We are populating values in text fields and data in the excpanded schedules isn't appearing if we view this from the Master with everything expanded. However, if we collapse the 35 schedules showing only the summary line on each and then open the individual schedule it will show the data in that individual schedule.

This data we are storing would be best viewed from the Master as it is payment numbers and amounts throughout all the 35 schedules and is certainly a small number of the 28,000 tasks.

What is the issue here?  How do we correct this? To many tasks? I wouldn't think 28,000 tasks would cause this issue.

Thanks

Friday, November 2, 2012 1:38 PM

All replies

• Have you tried pressing the F9 key with the projects expanded? Expanding the projects essentially opens them from within the Master. When you open/expand the schedule, you refresh the data.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, November 2, 2012 1:59 PM
  • I was told late Friday afternoon that Master schedules have a limit of 10,000 lines it will display some data on and we have 27,000....and this is why the data in some of the fields isn't showing up.

It shows the 27,000 tasks but not the data in the text fields for all 27,000 lines

Kind-of doesn't make sense but this is what another division encountered.

Sunday, November 4, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hotmail1,

Who or what gave you that information? Is it based on some specification provided by Microsoft or on supposition/hearsay from someone? I've never heard of such a limitation. Doesn't mean it isn't true, I'd like to hear/see some validation.

John

Sunday, November 4, 2012 6:59 PM