Black screen after a fresh instal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys!, don’t blame me for my bad English because I’m 14 years old and I live in Holland (The Netherlands)

Today I reinstalled my vista computer, I formatted my partition and wanted to reinstall vista.

But when the computer was running the Windows vista ultimate setup from windows XP it fails when he needs to restart, I’m getting a black screen after restarting the computer.

So I thought I will run the setup when the computer is starting up, and the installation was again complete, but when he’s again restarting the system he gives again the same black screen!

I Don’t now what to do know.
    So if someone has a solution for me, it would be perfect.

My computer runs on a 32 bit processor

Specs:
    Core 2 Dual 2.66 GHz @ 2.80   ( 8x350)
    Motherboard: P5LD2-X /1333
    Nvidia Geforce 8600 GTS
    1x 250 GB seagate baracuda sata drive,, partitioned in 1 50 GB for XP and 1 200 for Vista
    1x 250 GB seagate baracusa IDE drive, just 1 partition for al my data
    400 Watt power supply from AOpen

I think my system isn’t the problem, because my previous installation did run for a month very well!
    so I don’t understand why it isn’t working.
    Both versions,  Windows Vista As well XP are legal.

Please help me, Greatings!

Sunday, November 4, 2007 9:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Marco282,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand the issue is not related to the Windows XP/Vista system and its cause is probably on the hardware side as the computer was controlled by BIOS at that time (before the multiple boot menu screen appears).

As Microsoft support engineers are not specialized in hardware issues, our suggestions on hardware are limited.

If your computer is still in warranty, I suggest contacting your computer manufacturer to check the hardware as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:46 AM
  • Thankyou for your reply.

I have solved the problem.

Here how to solve the problem:

Use a Live cd such as Parted Magic from the linux distribution to boot and delete al the MBR writen on the harddrive.

restart and boot again from the live CD,, then format your complete hardrive and then install Vista/XP

Becaus i wanted to reinstall XP too and it wouldnt install...

so the problem was realy with windows..

So I googled something and came with a solution that if u have install Linux sometime after XP or vista?

and u want to reinstall vista or XP afterwards u get this black screen of darkness.

So my problem is solved, I hope u could help other peoples with it!

Friday, November 23, 2007 3:06 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Marco282,

Thank you for the post.

To provide better troubleshooting steps of this issue, please confirm the following seven points first.

1. Do you have a Windows Vista full version disk?

2. Was your Windows XP installed on drive C and Windows Vista  installed on drive D?

3. Did the black screen appear during the installation of Windows Vista or after it had been successfully installed?

4. If it appears during the installation, please let me know at which stage the black screen appears, : Copying Windows file, Gathering files, Expending files, Installing features and updates or Completing upgrade.

5. Did any message appear on the black screen?

6. Is the system drive the primary drive and the data drive the slave one?

7. Can you enter Windows XP?

This kind of issues can usually be caused by incompatible hardware devices.

Based on the current situation, I suggest unplugging all your unnecessary devices, such as printer, sound card, network card and USB devices and then install Windows Vista again.

You can also temporarily remove the data drive and test if Windows Vista can be installed.

As Windows Vista can only be installed on NTFS disks, please check whether the disk is in NTFS.

Sometimes the issue can also be caused by the corrupt installation disk or DVD drive. Please verify whether your Windows Vista disk and DVD drive are working well.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:54 AM
  •  

1. Do you have a Windows Vista full version disk? Yes, I have! 

2. Was your Windows XP installed on drive C and Windows Vista  installed on drive D? No, XP is installed on C and Vista on E

My data disk is D

3. Did the black screen appear during the installation of Windows Vista or after it had been successfully installed? 2 optionsStick out tongue

When I did the instal from XP

So I whas IN XP, and insert disk and it says, would u like to instal windows vista! Yes i wantStick out tongue

so I enter cd key etc, i choose to DONT WANT TO UPGRADE but do a clean instal on my unformatted E partition.

So I Installed it, and by Extracting files on 27% he needs to reboot, thats right because another time i installed vista it whas also the case!

but I thougt what would happen when I install it when I boot up, so I insert my disc and bootted my pc up, I pressed a key when asked and installed vista,, because i wasnt in XP he did not need to restart.

but when he says Finishing instaltion he needs to restart, after that restart I did get a black screenSad

4. If it appears during the installation, please let me know at which stage the black screen appears, : Copying Windows file, Gathering files, Expending files, Installing features and updates or Completing upgrade. I did not Upgrade but a clean instalation on my another partition, it whas in the stage of completing instalation that he needs to reboot and after te dual boot screen i whas getting the black screen

5. Did any message appear on the black screen? Negative

6. Is the system drive the primary drive and the data drive the slave one? The system drive is my SATA drive and is Primary,, The data drive is an IDE drive and is secundary

7. Can you enter Windows XP? Yes, Actualy im right on it now!

Because a few weeks ago, vista did run well with the same hardware,, I dont knowSad

the only think thats different is the indexing of the harddrives,, I mean wich hdd/partition is wich letter!

(Sorry for the bad english, I hope u understand me! If u cant read it just saySmile)

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:08 PM
  •  

Hi Marco282,

Thank you for your clarification.

From your description, I understand that you are trying to install Windows Vista on the unformatted E partition.

This may cause unexpected problems if installing Windows Vista again on a partition that Windows Vista has already existed.

Now I suggest we try the following method to reinstall Windows Vista:

1. Backup your important data on E partition.

2. Insert the Windows Vista installation disk into the DVD drive.

3. Restart the computer and enter BIOS.

4. Set to boot from the DVD drive and restart the computer to boot from it.

5. Format E partition and then install Windows Vista on it.

If the issue persists, I would like to know how you switched the drive letters. In addition, have any hardware changes been made on the computer since you installed Windows Vista last time? Can you boot to Windows Vista now?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:54 AM
  •  

Now i have an another problem.

Today i want to startup my PC and startup XP,, i don't get in the dual boot screen because before it it is giving me the flashing -

it continues to flash and so i want to reinstall XP, BUT when im pressing the key when asking it gives me the message checking the hardware configuration and then a black screen.

so i cant instal xpSad

so i dissabled my DATA disk and formatted my SATA hdd completely. just 1 partition formatted,, i insert the XP disk again, it will give me a black screen again?Tongue Tied

so why is he giving me the black screen? when i insert the disk in another pc it just works,, i tried the disk of my neighbour and giving me the same fould,, vista wont instal either!

I know have installed Linux ubunut 7.07 so i have internet and could at least do something,,

it seems that i cant install any Microsoft OS

how could that be? is there been written something in my pc so i cant install XP/Vista?

please dont give me a advise thats written voor people who arent experienced,,

i know my way around hardware/software so u could give me a more PRO advise.

i know my way around bios etc, i already did a bios refresh,, a bios flash wouldnt be nessesary because i could lose my motherboard and bacause it seems a microsoft problem i realy want to know the problem

Please give me some advise?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:12 PM
  •  

Hi Marco282,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand the issue is not related to the Windows XP/Vista system and its cause is probably on the hardware side as the computer was controlled by BIOS at that time (before the multiple boot menu screen appears).

As Microsoft support engineers are not specialized in hardware issues, our suggestions on hardware are limited.

If your computer is still in warranty, I suggest contacting your computer manufacturer to check the hardware as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:46 AM
  • Thankyou for your reply.

I have solved the problem.

Here how to solve the problem:

Use a Live cd such as Parted Magic from the linux distribution to boot and delete al the MBR writen on the harddrive.

restart and boot again from the live CD,, then format your complete hardrive and then install Vista/XP

Becaus i wanted to reinstall XP too and it wouldnt install...

so the problem was realy with windows..

So I googled something and came with a solution that if u have install Linux sometime after XP or vista?

and u want to reinstall vista or XP afterwards u get this black screen of darkness.

So my problem is solved, I hope u could help other peoples with it!

Friday, November 23, 2007 3:06 PM
  •  

Hi Marco282,

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I appreciate your time and effort on this issue. I will add your solution to our database and believe it will be helpful if other customers encounter the same issues in the future.

Now I will mark this thread as “Answered”. If you have other issues regarding Windows Vista, please feel free to post new threads.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:20 AM