EXE installation - the application was not detected after installation completed RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an Application and Deployment that runs a silent EXE installation using a response file. I can see the installation is successful, but SCCM reports it failed because "the application was not detected after installation completed." The Deployment uses a Registry key as the Detection Rule to determine if the application is already present. Does SCCM use the Detection Rule to determine the application successfully installed?

Thank you,

Shawn

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:03 PM

All replies

• One identified issue is that some EXE based installers (and many EXE based uninstallers) spawn additional processes to perform installation tasks and then exit before these sub-processes finish. ConfigMgr has no way to know that this is happening and can only tell when the main EXE exits. Thus, these sub-processes may still be performing installation tasks when ConfigMgr thinks the installation is done and the criteria for installation you've defined may not actually be there yet but by the time you go and manually check, it's there.

At this time, the only solution (if this is indeed what is happening), is to wrap your EXE installation in a script that pauses for some arbitrary amount of time, like 5 seconds, after the exe executes to give these sub-processes time to complete.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Yes, the installation is using the detection method to determine if the application was installed successfully.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Thursday, December 27, 2012 6:16 AM