Blank quick launch toolbar in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have placed the quick launch toolbar on my taskbar (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) and when I first open it all I see is a large white rectangle. It takes forever (a few seconds anyway) for it to fill in the 30 or so items I have in it. I use the same OS at work and the quick launch toolbar opens fine with everything there right away. I cleared the pre-fetch cache and every time I boot I make sure to open the QL toolbar first thing to see if that helps - it makes no difference. Is there a way to speed up the process of displaying the items in the QL toolbar? This is not a major problem but it's very annoying to me. Thanks
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:33 PM

All replies

• If you clear your pre-fetch, the entire contents must be slowly rebuilt and re-added to the cache, which involves querying every file individually for properties, icon, description, etc.  Don't delete the cache and performance should be much improved (after it's rebuilt, which can take some time and several reboots).

Shawn Keene
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:17 PM
  • I cleared the cache several weeks ago - I knew it would have to be rebuilt which is why I always open the quick launch toolbar first thing after rebooting.  I am still waiting for any improvement.

As I said I am using the same toolbar using the same OS (Win 7 Pro although it's the 32 bit version & 64 bit at home) at work and the toolbar always opens with all icons in < 1 second.

Thanks

Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Ah I see.  I'm trying to consider what would make the one machine delay.  Any chance you have redirected your profile to another drive or network location?  Other than that, I would imagine it's a delay of a service starting or a shell extension, but that's very unlikely.  

Shawn Keene
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:07 PM
  • My home PC is not normally on any network - although I have the capacity to network to my notebook I rarely use it and certainly don't store any profiles on it. I'm sure the profile is somewhere in C:\Users\Charles.

At work I have a local profile and a default one on the network that kicks in if needed.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:44 PM