file system of Win 7 is not incompatibale with Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have several disk drives (SSD, SATA) on my system. Windows system is installed on one of the SSD drive and all of the data is on other separate drives. I noticed that, a new Win10 installation doesn't recognize the old file system and the old Win7 also doesn't recognize Win10. If you boot into Win 7, the chdsk will be run against the Win10 system volume automatically and after that, when you boot into Win10 again, the recovery program and diagnostic program will be run to fix Win10.

Verse versa, the existing file system on win7 cannot be seen after booting into Win10. The disk drive even cannot be detected by Win10.

I have to delete the volumes and make the whole drive be Unallocated in Win7 so make it be detectable in Win10 again. There must be some change in Win10 that caused this. Please let me know the change and any possible workaround to make Win10 recognize the existing file system on Win7. Otherwise, I have to move the data back and force between several drives twice, that's several TB of data, which is really painful.

Thank you!

Ah_Chao|| MCSE,VCP,EMCSAe

Sunday, October 4, 2015 1:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

According to your description, I understand that dual system cannot recognize the file system for each other.
    If I misunderstand your concern, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Do you have install Windows 7 and Windows 10 within same partition? Multibooting requires separate partitions on your computer's hard disk for each operating system, if not, it might cause this problem.

Once the computer has install Windows 7 and Windows 10, you must use NTFS that all system can access that.

Would you please get an screenshot about Disk Management for further troubleshooting?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:00 AM
  • i decided to abandon this thread since the reply is more likely to be a template without any thinking.

Ah_Chao|| MCSE,VCP,EMCSAe

Saturday, October 10, 2015 4:06 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Please ensure all disk partition be seen in Disk Management within each OS system?
    If so, please update all drivers to latest version form Vendor's site, especial Chipset, LAN, USB, and Audio drivers.

If this issue persists, please try the DiskExt command line tool from SysInternals:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896648

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, November 2, 2015 8:47 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2015 2:24 AM