none
Project Server 2010 Departmental Custom Field. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have created our PS 2010 Dev env using MS provided PS 2007 empty databases to enable BCM. But while testing on Department custom field faced unexpected behavior from MS Project 2007.

While assigning a Project Department say "IT" MS Project 2007 is not populating corresponding project custom fields which belong to IT dept surprisingly it is showing all project custom fields means all global and departmental custom field.

So please confirm me what could be wrong here as per my understanding whenever you assign a particular department to Project/Task/Res PS 2010 and MS Project 2007/2010 will load all the custom fields respective to that deapt including global custom field.

Thanks and please correct me in case I am wrong here.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 1:03 PM

Answers

• By design, Department functionality does not work when in BCM.

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by BPAdmin2013 Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:31 PM

All replies

• BPAdmin2013 --

In Project Server 2010, the Project Information dialog will show the following enterprise fields in the bottom half of the dialog,

• Enterprise custom fields for which you set NO Department value.  This is how you set up Project Server to show universal fields that you want every PM to populate.
    • Enterprise custom fields for which you set a Department value, and then the user selects that particular  Department on the Department pick list.  This is how you limit showing the field to only people who need to populate that field.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, July 14, 2013 2:49 PM
  • I've never used BCM, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 2007 version of Project exhibits the behavior you're describing.  Can you compare the behavior of a 2007 vs. 2010 version of the client in the same environment?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Thanks Andrew,

I have asked other users to check on MS  Project 2010 client will update you soon.

Monday, July 15, 2013 5:56 AM
  • Thanks Dale,

I completely agree with you here with both points you mentioned above. But in our env for point no 2 we are facing unexpected behavior from MS Project 2007 client. In Project information dialog box it is showing all global custom fields means for which we have not selected any department. But it is not showing project only departmental custom fields corresponding to the project department we have slected, instead it is showing all department custom fields.

So just want to confirm it is expected behavior from MS Project 2007 for PS 2010 in BCM enable mode or something wrong here in our PS 2010 configuration.

Monday, July 15, 2013 6:10 AM
  • By design, Department functionality does not work when in BCM.

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by BPAdmin2013 Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:31 PM
  • Thanks Reid, that's what I was looking for.

One more query this department functionality will not work in MS-Project but it will work for other cases like creating departmental olap cubes, department portfolio analyses etc.

Please confirm.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Thanks Reid, that's what I was looking for.

One more query this department functionality will not work in MS-Project but it will work for other cases like creating departmental olap cubes, department portfolio analyses etc.

Please confirm.

Yes, those other features should work.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:18 PM