RDP is not working after windows update server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have done the Windows update since then RDP stopped working. I am using Windows server 2008 R2 64-bit machine. The Windows update also include http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=223632 .
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please download and install the following hotfixes, restart your server, and see if the problem is resolved:

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2667402)

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29169

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2621440)

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29116

You may already have one or both of the above installed and the installer will notify you when you double-click it.  Please let us know which ones of the above were already installed, and also if you have Service Pack 1 installed.  For example, you may have Service Pack 1 and KB2621440 installed, but not KB2667402--I have seen where this combination causes the RDS service to fail.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

According to my previous experience, please check if any antivirus software led to this issue. You can disable or uninstall the 3rd security software/ Management Agent in the Windows Server to see whether same issue still exists.

Hope this helps.

Technology changes life……

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:35 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:53 AM

All replies

• Niranjan,

Please make sure that Windows Firewall still has the exception for 3389. Please also verify the connection setting of your server and RDP Client. Lastly, can you provide more details on the connection issue? Do you get an error message?

Jared Hamilton, MCITP Enterprise Administrator

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:52 PM
  • Hello Niranjan,

Could you elaborate on what exactly is happening when you try to RDP to the server.

Any error message ? What OS/Client machine are you trying to RDP from ? Does it fails from Server to Server as well ?

Sanket. J Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Yes, 3389 is open in Windows Firewall and connection settings are fine. I checked that when I try to log into server via RDP the Remote Desktop service is killing. Also, event log just shows Remote Desktop Services service terminated unexpectedly. Server to Server also fails.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Hi,

According to my previous experience, please check if any antivirus software led to this issue. You can disable or uninstall the 3rd security software/ Management Agent in the Windows Server to see whether same issue still exists.

Hope this helps.

Technology changes life……

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:35 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:53 AM
  • Hi Niranjan,

Did you fix the problem? Seems I got the same problem as you.

Thanks!

Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:40 AM
  • Similar problem. When I try to use RDP from XP to w2k3. PC with all updates not connect. PC without March`s KB still works
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

Please download and install the following hotfixes, restart your server, and see if the problem is resolved:

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2667402)

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29169

Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2621440)

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29116

You may already have one or both of the above installed and the installer will notify you when you double-click it.  Please let us know which ones of the above were already installed, and also if you have Service Pack 1 installed.  For example, you may have Service Pack 1 and KB2621440 installed, but not KB2667402--I have seen where this combination causes the RDS service to fail.

Thanks.

-TP

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

I had came across with the similar issue of losing RDP connection post deployment of Service Pack 1 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I managed to install the following windows Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition

KB2667402

Now, I together with other admins, can access via RDP simultaneously.

Cheers....

• Proposed as answer by JJR70 Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:44 PM
  • I can't believe this topic doesn't have more posts. This is a SERIOUS ISSUE!

I was suffering from this issue on two brand new server 2008 R2 w/SP1 VM builds. After windows updates (just critical and security) I could no longer RDP to the server. I'd get to the welcome part and then got the 'Your remote desktop session has ended...' message. If I didn't have the ESXi console I'd be dead in the water. Especially with one of the servers being 6 states away.

I installed the 2 KB's listed above (KB2667402 and KB2621440) and that seems to have fixed the issue for one of the servers (that server only needed KB2621440) but not for the second one. After several reboots I noticed that windows updates wanted to install KB2667402 again on this second server. After windows update installed it I can now RDP to it again.

Since this just happened I am unsure whether or not I am just getting lucky or the problem is truly fixed. I will post back if I run into any more issues.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Are there any patches for win server 2008 32 bit? I am having the same probelm where I can no longer RDP into the server.
    Friday, April 27, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I installed the 2 updates as suggested above. and it worked straight away.

thank you TP .

Monday, May 7, 2012 10:44 PM
  • Thank you TP, in my case KB2667402 did not install through Windows Update. I installed and RDS has returned to normal.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:12 PM
  • HI Team,

As per your advise i have uninstaleed KB 2667402 and Installed the latest July version.

Still i am unable to RDP to my windows Server 2008r2.

I am getting the following error mes

• Proposed as answer by Dr.小汐 Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dr.小汐 Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:54 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 7:29 AM
  • I have faced similar issue and simple trick has solved this issue for me, this patch updates creates more windows firewall entries becasue of RDP entry gets lost....Just undo your RDP access from server, try to log on (of course it should fail) and then go back and allow the Remote desktops...this will add another entry in Windows Firewall and you should be able to use rdp or mstsc.exe services on this server....
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:58 AM
  • I have faced similar issue and simple trick has solved this issue for me, this patch updates creates more windows firewall entries becasue of RDP entry gets lost....Just undo your RDP access from server, try to log on (of course it should fail) and then go back and allow the Remote desktops...this will add another entry in Windows Firewall and you should be able to use rdp or mstsc.exe services on this server....

I have simillar problem everything was working fine and after SP1 and windows update can not RDP server. When I restart server it brings up the Remote Desktop Logon Screen and after entering username & password I get a Welcome screen and right away gets error message "Your Windows Session has been dissconncted try again else contatc administrator"

I can not get the logon screen any more until I restart Remote Services from Administrator->service. but as soon as get welcome screen session get disconnected. Stretd server many times all above fixes are installed. tried with FIREWALL stop etc... but it is not firewall issue since I cano not even telnet to port 3389 locally until I restart "remote services"...

• Proposed as answer by Tim_K_ Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tim_K_ Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:58 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:47 PM
  • The only thing that worked for me in my situation with leaving the critical updates installed was to delete the connection in Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration. Then recreate a new connection. Issue was then resolved. I have done this now on three of my servers where this problem has occurred.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:03 PM
  • I am still having problem even with the two patches installed. the firewall still have 3389 port open. cannot connect even on the same network.

Kevin

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Hello Guys,

I was able to fix the issue by installing the LDR version of : KB2667402

KK

Saturday, November 9, 2013 6:28 AM
  • Hi

i installed 10 update and face same issue below are 10 numbers.

which one need to uninstall.

Arvind

Saturday, December 8, 2018 4:20 PM