App-V 4.5 SP2 TS Client Attempting to Repair itself RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. In our Citrix farm, there are a number of error messages in the event log:

Detection of product '{ECF80BBA-CA07-4A74-9ED6-E064F38AF1F5}', feature 'Release_Merge_Modules' failed during request for component '{881A92F1-863B-48BF-BF4D-E10B804EDDF6}'

And:

Detection of product '{ECF80BBA-CA07-4A74-9ED6-E064F38AF1F5}', feature 'Release_Terminal_Servers' failed during request for component '{7DC4099D-80F8-4F2D-A800-26E7663AE064}'

Both of these errors are Windows Installer messages generated by the App-V 4.5 SP2 TS Client (the components GUIDs resolve to 'release_sfttray.exe' & 'sftdde.exe.BD510A56_FCA5_4E01_9496_889943A3ABF7', but can't figure out why the repair is being triggered.

Shortly after this event, users are unable to open Outlook (2k3) email attachments.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:38 AM

Answers

• Office & DSC. Grrr....

It looks like a total idiot did the original Office app-v package, it's full of errors, and Outlook was launched during the monitoring phase!

Looks like the resolution is to install Office locally. Thanks for all your help.

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by TenBob Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:45 PM

All replies

• What does your App-V client install look like? i.e. - options in a transform, was the original MSI modified, how is the install performed

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:58 PM
  • No transforms or MSI edits. The MSI is dropped into windows\temp then launched via a software delivery mechanism, no switches other than /qn. Various processes were locked by the previous version of the client (sp1) service so the server was rebooted. The installation MSI is deleted from the temp folder.

The error appears several times a day on all servers in the farm. The only way to enable the Outlook attachments again is to delete the Office user .pkg file. It's possible the Outlook issue isn't related but it's coincidental that users experience the issue after the app-v client repair.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hello,

Have you reviewed the contents of the .PKG-file to see if there is something within the file that could cause a problem?
    /Znack
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Yes, I've spent literally days using pkgview, but nothing jumps out as being 'obvious'. The app-v client installer registry keys (usage) appear, but I can't see the usage counter being the issue.

The Outlook profile sounds to me to be corrupt, but how do you go about fixing it with the profile fix when it's an app-v package?

Friday, July 15, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Hello,

If you remove the PKG-file all the user-specific information will have to be recreated - ergo the same thing as deleteing the profile
    /Znack
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Hello,

If you remove the PKG-file all the user-specific information will have to be recreated - ergo the same thing as deleteing the profile
    /Znack

True, but this is a production environment, and deleting the pkg also removes the user configuration for all the Office products in addition to the Outlook connection details (they are bundled as one package). I was hoping to repair the Outlook profile in isolation, making the process invisible to the user base.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Hello,

In case you wish to perform this you can have a pre-execution script perform a clean-up.

See scripting possibilities within the OSD illustrated

http://www.tmurgent.com/osd_illustrated.aspx

/Znack
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Run mlcfg32.cpl from within the Office package to view the Mail Control Panel applet to view the Outlook MAPI profiles

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 12:34 PM
  • The plot thickens:

I've discovered another app that fails to launch Excel & Word attachments, so it looks like Outlook isn't the culprit. Scratch that.

Using Procmon, I've discovered the command to launch Excel is incorrect, and found the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes key is populated with FTAs, rather than HKLM\Software\Classes.

If I rename (within the virtual environment) HKCU\Software\Classes\Excel.Sheet.8\Open\Command key, guess what? The xls attachment opens! The same goes if I rename the equivalent Word reg key too.

Edited to remove erroneous comment.

Thanks for your help so far guys.

• Edited by TenBob Monday, July 18, 2011 11:07 AM
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:27 AM
  • hello,

HKCR is a combination of the contents from HKCU and HKLM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724475(v=vs.85).aspx

/Znack
    Monday, July 18, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

So, our app-v client populates FTA's per user. I don't understand why the client can't launch the attachments. Is there a known issue with 4.5 sp3 clients and FTA's?

Monday, July 18, 2011 11:05 AM
  • hello,

The App-V Client populates FTAs dependt on how you publish it. SCCM, if deploying to a machine, populates FTAs to the HKLM. If deploying to a user - it deploys to HKCU.

If using standalone - its most commonly deployed to HKLM

If using the legacy full infrastructure its always to HKCU.

There are no issues with FTAs that I know of with the App-V client.

/Znack
    Monday, July 18, 2011 11:22 AM
  • We have the full app-v infrastructure which explains the HKCU element. Is it possible to have app-v management server populate HKLM instead?

What isn't clear, is that by temporarily disabling the Excel open command, xls files open correctly.

I've exported the HKCU key (Excel.Sheet.8) from the w2k3 Citrix server and imported to a test XP VM. The same failure to launch error occurs. (Office was installed using msi on the xp vm).

So regardless of full infrastructure or msi install, if the HKCU keys exist, the ability to open Excel or Word 2003 is compromised. The procmon 'Process Create' values:

Not working:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client\sftdde.exe" "C:\DOCUME~1\user1\LOCALS~1\Temp\TEST_1.xls"

Working: "Q:\OFF2K3.001\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" "C:\DOCUME~1\user1\LOCALS~1\Temp\TEST_1.xls"

I was starting to think this could be an app-v client corruption on the server, but with testing on a totally different client, using the same client version, the error is recreated.

Monday, July 18, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Hello,

1. No

2. Having no knowledge of how your packages look like I can't really say that one command or another should work or not work.

The excel.exe should never be seen if the package is virtualized - so if its working using a virtualized package I am actually a bit surprised. But then again - I have no knowledge of your setup

/Znack
    Monday, July 18, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Should have said, Office is DSC'd in the 2nd package making it visible. Clicking on the same open attachment link generates the 2 differing command lines depending on the existence of the HKCU key.

Fair enough, it's not possible to troubleshoot entirely from an explanation on the internet! I was hoping somebody else has had this problem or similar. All my previous clients use SCCM which seems to be more reliable than full infrastructure, so far as I can tell...

Monday, July 18, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Hello,

As per the sequencing whitepaper - Office is not supported as a secondary package in a DSC-scenario.
    /Znack
    Monday, July 18, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Office & DSC. Grrr....

It looks like a total idiot did the original Office app-v package, it's full of errors, and Outlook was launched during the monitoring phase!

Looks like the resolution is to install Office locally. Thanks for all your help.

• Proposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by TenBob Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:45 PM