Some UAC-virtualised programs can't load DLLs - possible consequence of KB2859537 (ASLR) ? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear forum readers and contributors,

I started noticing this last 15th of august. Shorty after a bunch of system updates on my Vista Ultimate 32 bit, a few programs stopped working, with different error messages : "This application couldn't start because wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom.dll is missing. Reinstallation could fix the problem", "User lib not found", "This application is not correctly installed. Please install the application". I was wondering about some possible missing or corrupted DLL until I noticed :

1) All affected programs are UAC-virtualised
    2) If I delete their virtualised files in the virtual store, they can start again, until they've written in the virtual store again, then once I've quit, they won't start again
    3) If I disable UAC virtualisation for those programs (through the compatibility administrator), the programs are able to start again (but with other problems, of course)

Clearly, there's a change in behaviour which reminded me of those recent updates and after a check I sense that this one, KB2859537, which modifies ASLR may very well be responsible of this. I've not seen any viable workaround right now, do you have any advices ?

Without further information I will probably disable ASLR completely on my system, just to see if it does the trick, but I'm not considering living like that, of course...

I don't know if EMET has options to disable ASLR per program, will download and try it. The affected programs aren't ASLR-enabled, but I could try disabling ASLR on the UAC virtualisation filesystem filter, if that's possible...

Thanks for your help !

Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:24 PM

Answers

• False alarm, I've finally found a workaround which makes me think it's unrelated to the ASLR patch. In case it may come useful to others, the problems concerned programs on an external USB hard drive. Plugging it in before system boot is likely to solve the problem, but I found another one : open the file on the affected volume, then try to eject securely in the notification area, which will fail since a file is open. This brings things back in order for some reason I ignore currently...
    • Marked as answer by NovHak Monday, June 2, 2014 1:34 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:23 AM